RANT false advertising!

Maverik

I'm fed up of receiving items that are not what they are "sold" as! and its teeing me off!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291168079811?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

See link, and ask yourself what do you think you're getting!!!

My answer is a TRW branded master cylinder!?!?!?!

False; today I received some non branded pile of cast S***E.... it grinds my gears to the umpteenth degree that people do this!!!!! where they are purposefully trying to rip people off or they're just lax in what pictures they use on there outlet websites! it does not excuse the fact.

You'd think it was an easy thing pre buying a part to change out! but I'm having this issue more and more, its making buying things such a chore and it hacks me off!.

Rant over.

Mav.

I know what you mean but I never trust photos, they're often taken from other websites or the reseller switches suppliers and gets a different product but don't update the photo. They often do this as they often don't actually stock the product themselves, they buy it in and send it out after it's been ordered therefore they don't actually have one in their hand to take a photo of before they write the listing. I always go off the text, unless it specifies a brand I assume 'the product may be different from that shown' which is a cover all they often put on listings.

In this case I would ask for a refund as with it having their company name on the box and theres no get out on the listing I think it would be fair to assume it is what it is.

eBay / PayPal are usually quite good at refunds - save a copy of the web page & photo and then demand your money back, if they don't sort things out to your satisfaction - dispute it and/or leave negative feedback.

Not in my experience I sold an item on eBay and the buyer never paid but i got charged fees on the sale so I raised a dispute with eBay and I have just been notified by eBay that they have closed my case and I should claim my fees back from the buyer, which is a bit hard as the buyer didn't answer any messages

Also as the buyer is zero feedback it won't allow me to leave negative feedback

Carl is normally pretty good - have you rung him and spoken to him?

I appreciate that this doesn't solve your immediate need if you have a truck off the road but I don't think he would intend to rip anyone off - he's very well regarded locally...

Hope you are able to resolve this!

I would expect to get a genuine TRW one too.................

I would call this blatent misrepresentation and a complete rip off. There is no other way to describe it, and its inexcusable.

No doubt the seller will claim they were "helping you out" as they had no stock, so sent a substitute, BUT, they should have asked first before sending it. Not only that, but a "cheap" one from my local supplier is only £33 plus vat, so they have had your trousers down all round !

Not in my experience I sold an item on eBay and the buyer never paid but i got charged fees on the sale so I raised a dispute with eBay and I have just been notified by eBay that they have closed my case and I should claim my fees back from the buyer, which is a bit hard as the buyer didn't answer any messages

Also as the buyer is zero feedback it won't allow me to leave negative feedback

Unfortunately the eBay dispute system is heavily loaded toward the buyer's side great if your a buyer, hard or sometimes impossible if you a seller. Sorry back on topic.

Mike

What gets me is vendors hiding behind phrases like "...have tried to describe the item as well as possible..." and "...as far as it has been tested..."

I just received a professional piece of equipment that in it's base function is exactly what I need, but two key functions just don't function and are kind of fundamental. It's complete scalping B.S.

Its not just ebay. Paddocks sell Britpart G spec stuff which, when i have chanced it in the past, has been clearly different to the part actually supplied by LR (sometimes it has been fine). I dont know if its Paddocks or Britpart, the latter i suspect, but its not right.

All this is the reason why I use my local indi..... saves the ball ache when you get an inferior part sent out. I can see what I'm getting before I pay for it!

I have learnt that. The only online companies i use now are britcar and lrdirect. They both give a fairly clear choice (britpart/allmakes/bearmach/LR Genuine) and send what you order. lrdirect particularly seems really good to me. If i know the OEM i.e. timken, corteco etc then i will use my local indi and others, but then i can be really specific about what i ask for and what they give me.

Probably one of the main reasons I am well known in my local LR dealership, OK everything has to be ordered up and sent from Metz in France for a 200Tdi Disco, but it is a genuine part and although I might pay a heap extra, I pay once, fit and forget, not exactly true for some of the aftermarket pattern parts supplied is it?

Probably one of the main reasons I am well known in my local LR dealership, OK everything has to be ordered up and sent from Metz in France for a 200Tdi Disco, but it is a genuine part and although I might pay a heap extra, I pay once, fit and forget, not exactly true for some of the aftermarket pattern parts supplied is it?

Always curious about why you've come round Nigel? A year or two ago i seem to remember you telling me off for slating Britpart quality.

Well Richard, I will tell you how it all came to be.

I had numerous RRCs and Series vehicles through from late 90s to mid 2000s all easily kept on the road with a mix of gen and BP stuff, the BP stuff was actually really good back then, not just saying that either, it was similar quality at less than 1/2 the price.

Now almost 7 yrs on during this last 2yrs of my own rebuild and after having tried a few parts from BP believing they would have been the same as before but that people were expecting too much from the parts in hostile environments. Sad truth is, I found 90% of the parts that came from BP were simply not fit for use or purpose.

Seals had cracks in them, heater blower motor simply did not fit and even though it was described as direct replacement for a 200Tdi Disco it needed such modification that once I found it wouldn't fit or work as I needed it was too late to send it back, paper gaskets that were little more than brown coloured copy paper not even 1mm thick with randomly punched holes that barely lined up or were nowhere near, personal experiance of fitting a couple of switches on other peoples trucks and having them fail rather rapidly, 3 sets of brake discs with tidal proportions of run out, turned out as three with the subsequent 2 sets being the same and the last set was worse than the first 2!!! The supplier refunded and gave us a further refund on the receipt for a set of genuine ones from Land Rover they were so unhappy about the situation.

I know for sure that BP are the sole distributors for certain LR replacement parts as they bulk buy every unit made and even own some of the OEM companies, for instance, Adwest steering boxes unless sourced direct from Adwest, they will come in a BP box no matter who supplies it to you.

That's my story of how I have come to hold a rather jaded view of a company I once held in reasonable view for supplying decent aftermarket parts, turns out times have changed, there are some parts worth buying, but they seem to be few and far between. I do have a BP H/D clutch to fit in a while but only because it was better quality than 2 other clutches I looked at.

I do still hold the view that you get what you pay for, cheap is not better but expensive can often be a waste of money.

Fair enough. Interesting to read that they were once a reasonable company. I've been doing my own work on the 110 since 2007 and the D2 the whole time i've owned it and my experience has been the same as your recent findings in that whole time. Its for this reason that nearly everything i buy comes from lrdirect, britcar or AJDs (localish to me at Hoddesdon).

Ebay, paddocks and the like are a bit of a lottery. But, back to Mavs original post, I have tried to use ebay to source stuff from the original manufacturer so i too would be Mildly miffed off if i'd got some unbranded rubbish when i had clearly made an effort to purchase from a decent manufacturer.

Ive bought from R and C before got a cacky alternator with bound up bearings, spoke to Carl and he sent a replacement straight away , although to be fair to the original post here by Maverik it wasn't advertised as a genuine part , even so he seems a decent fella and is happy to help

I think Mavs issue was that it was sold using a picture of a TRW part and what he received was something else. The picture should be of the product you will receive.

I am just buying radius arm bushings, as they failed on an mot:

part number wide bushing:

NTC6781 genuine price from dealer: £9.17+ vat, best price on ebay: £2.99 vat included

part number narrow bushing:

NTC7307 genuine price from dealer: £18.75+vat, best price on ebay: £2.99 vat included

Obviously, I need the narrow bush, and I need 8 off. £180 genuine or £23.92 cheapo.

From experience, I will go genuine, but what a difference!

My rant....

Daan

Daan, see my post 25 and thread here:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=83997&page=2

Ntc7307 were the only ones of the g spec set I ordered from paddocks that came marked/embossed with 'Metalastik'

http://www.paddockspares.com/ntc7307g-radius-arm-front-bush-metalastik-oe-front-axle-to-ka930455.html

I ordered every other bush for the car from paddocks making sure I ordered g spec parts and the rest looked like a blind man had made them so after a lot of arguing I got a refund on everything else. It's all in the thread above. Only mentioning it as it might be worth a chance for you at less than £5