Thoughts and Musings on the Ineos Grenadier

Bowie69

3 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

The off road buttons read as 'wading' and 'off road', perhaps the wading button closes holes in the bell housing/timing cover :D

Maybe it closes a flap in the air intake and allows it to breathe from a higher, less efficient spot?

Or it raises the air suspension :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Don't know what the logo is in the middle of the wheel, looks awkward and where is it from? Prefer the black wheel over the brown/ox blood version in the film.

I think that's just the Ineos logo, same one as on the rear wing of the Merc F1 car?

cfb6hnt3bkm61.jpg

I think a digital dash is better too - the one in the 110 is fantastic and can be configured to a variety of different layouts depending on preference. They are more adaptable and infinitely updatable, and people like them, so I’m not surprised it’s got one - though I still think it’s daft not having it in front of the driver.  

My point - somewhat tongue in cheek - was more that they have made a big song and dance over de-computerising it as much as possible, including boasting in the video about the manually adjustable seats, and then somehow forgotten about that completely when it comes to the dash display, instead putting in the very essence of ‘unnecessary technology’ that people have been complaining about.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

My point - somewhat tongue in cheek - was more that they have made a big song and dance over de-computerising it as much as possible, including boasting in the video about the manually adjustable seats, and then somehow forgotten about that completely when it comes to the dash display, instead putting in the very essence of ‘unnecessary technology’ that people have been complaining about.

Haha. I agree. Its like Ineos threw up on a BMW dashboard and centre console...

The manual seats are still heated so there are still electrics in them that will suffer with water...

I wonder if the seats will fit my 110........

Edited by reb78

I shouldn't, but I do like that.

Reminds me of the first time I saw the millennium falcon cockpit, in Star wars, when I was a small child: oodles of important looking switches.

I'm older now, and wider, so should frown on such frivolities, but, yeh, I like it. 

2 hours ago, reb78 said:

Haha. I agree. Its like Ineos threw up on a BMW dashboard and centre console...

The manual seats are still heated so there are still electrics in them that will suffer with water...

I wonder if the seats will fit my 110........

My old heated seats didn't care about being dunked and they were out of an Impreza.

I like it overall. Not a fan of red leather on the wheel, I think black would look better but leather is a sensible shout for longevity I think. 

The switches and stuff I like, although it is a little bit 'aircraft', but mostly pleased to see its not yet another sodding touchscreen for everything. 

As for the speedo, or lack of, my daily driver has a heads up display, so the only time I look at the normal clocks is for the fuel level and the mileage when I'm filling out my fuel app. Wouldn't surprise me if they have a digital speedo there and a space for a small number of warning lights. Not really any more complex than any modern speedo, its just pulling the info off the CAN bus and turning it into either a needle moving or some numbers. If anything just having the numbers is less complicated.

16 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

My old heated seats didn't care about being dunked and they were out of an Impreza.

Indeed, a heating element has no moving parts so unless get wet for enough time to let corrosion set in,  and are not protected from it,  then they should last fine. 

Unlike motors for powered seats. 

• Like 1

A bit more on it - they wanted a low dash to give maximum visibility, so have a slimline speedo with some warning lights and everything else moved to the centre.

Also saw that it has a built in inverter with a 3 pin plug socket in the back row of seats.

Manual handbrake too.

Total spend on bringing it to market £1bn - and that may be plus the cost of the factory. 

On the factory they are going to use part of it to continue to build smart cars - perhaps to generate revenue for themselves? 

• Like 1

Agreed , the switch gear does have a certain vintage/cold war look - not a negative though , if anything it's refreshing in today's virtual button world .

I'm still liking most of what has been revealed so far , it would be nice if the price was a little less to align with utility double cabs for the base versions .

Steve 

• Like 2

It doesn't seem that much attention is paid to speed limits any more, so I suppose it doesn't matter if the speedo is so small.

4x4 workhorse without trying too hard

If roof switches replete with aircraft safety hoop things isn't trying too hard, I don't know what is.

....and does a "real" 4x4 need an offroad button? If you ask me, the entirety of the old Defender was an 'offroad' button. Serious off roaders don't take time off.

tenor.gif

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, missingsid said:

Concerned that the labels won't take long to rub off TBH.

Didn't that article say the writing was etched in?  Excellent idea.

I quite like it overall, though not at all a fan of all that grey and would have found it neater if the big lump in the middle was angled a little.  Nothing there that would stop me buying it though.

I liked this bit: "the company hasn’t ruled out a short-wheelbase version".  A short-wheel base version, maybe with a budget four cylinder engine, would be a great run-around!  A lot like the little Series 3 Land Rover parked in my garage...

• Like 1

With switch panels easily removable I see scope for loads of after market alternatives.

Can't quite see the ability of a low level dash giving better views, it only needs to be under the line of sight from your eyes to the front of the bonnet. Does a Defender dash get in the way I know it looks very high and close my 2 remaining LRs have Series dash so I have no experience.

3 hours ago, missingsid said:

Can't quite see the ability of a low level dash giving better views, it only needs to be under the line of sight from your eyes to the front of the bonnet. Does a Defender dash get in the way I know it looks very high and close my 2 remaining LRs have Series dash so I have no experience.

Low dash lines have other benefits, such as making the cabin feel more open, bigger and more airy. I also don't think they were saying a Defender/Series dash gets in the way, they are both small dashes. Most modern cars have huge dashboards and often place you a long distance away from lower portion of the windscreen.

• Like 1

Well, the Defender dash is the same level as the bottom of the windscreen so I cant see it encroaching on the view at all as the glass is level with it so if the dash gets in the way, you are actually too short to see out of the windscreen anyway??!

I think very few modern cars have such a vertical windscreen placed so close to the wheel and so close to the driver. I imagine that is quite hard to get round on modern safety standards too ? 

I can only think of Wagons that have vertical windscreens these days ? And they sit the driver quite a way back from it.

I suppose an electronic component that plugs into the wiring is more robust than a precision analogue instrument, so it's only a question of whether the electronic display contains a faux mechanical gauge or a screen based gauge.

I take it that there's no spinning cable winding a clock in any modern vehicle.

1 hour ago, Anderzander said:

I think very few modern cars have such a vertical windscreen placed so close to the wheel and so close to the driver. I imagine that is quite hard to get round on modern safety standards too ? 

I can only think of Wagons that have vertical windscreens these days ? And they sit the driver quite a way back from it.

Grenadier, Wrangler, Jimny, G-Wagen and probably the new Bronco all pretty good at this.

• Like 1