Wrong Tool for the job...

JeffR

Wow, I didn't see that coming. As I read it I thought you were going to say you set your land rover on fire and burnt yourself. Sepsis is serious stuff. I hope you make a full recovery soon. I doubt you'll be allowed to work on your land rover again!! 

Thanks for posting your story as a warning. 

9 minutes ago, Blanco said:

...  I hope you made it to Cornwall after all that!  Great sense of humour obviously helps (and I hope the Boss has recovered hers!)  ... good lesson.

This occurred a few weeks back, still taking antibiotics, but more or less back to rude health. Posted as a warning about how insidious sepsis is.

Her humour amputation was successful a long time ago, yes we made it to Cornwall, wedding was great, car ate its starter motor, so business as usual.

Edited by JeffR
  • Like 1

Wow!

I've just had the sepsis talk from my local paramedic, (a client), who tells me that amateur motor vehicle technicians are regular callers to A&E. Not as regular as clumsy drunks or, in season, anglers with fishhooks embedded in them, but too frequently for comfort.

These days I work in an office environment, so the biggest dangers are paper cuts or being stabbed by a biro; fixing metal junk in the garage may be a hobby, but cannot be taken lightly. I'd better check my tetanus shots are up to date.

(As a 4x4 Response group we have a monthly trophy awarded to the person who did the dumbest thing in the previous month, the FUBAR, consisting of my old clutch mounted on a plinth; one memorable winner was a member who was run over by his own truck when he took the prop off, another unhitched a trailer, which rolled away, demolishing a wall. This month's likely winner rolled his mates "Mitsi" at Avalanche Adventures this Sunday. Our H&S reps love the trophy as it encourages people to think what might go wrong and 'fess up ASAP or be unmasked by their mates/relatives).

The annoying thing is that I have worked in sewage contaminated watercourses for the past three decades, always cut yourself turning rocks over, yet NEVER had an infection.

I also forgot to mention my undying and heartfelt admiration for the staff at Newcastle Royal Victoria Infirmary A& E and Ward 22 (or 23, forget which) they are are a credit to their chosen professions and vocations. Salt of the Earth, all of them.

• Like 1

Did you follow a 'how to' written by HFH??

Happy to hear you could walk away and a wiser man. 😉

I must admit I never pay much attention to cleaning wounds and don't really do antibiotics or other drugs...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Blimey Jeff you don't do it by halves do you :lol:

Glad you're OK, surprised the boss hasn't murdered you though :ph34r:

That would at least cut out the middle man.....

Seriously coming that close does give you a new view on what's worth it and what's not. Glad your on the mend.

Mike

16 hours ago, JeffR said:

The annoying thing is that I have worked in sewage contaminated watercourses for the past three decades, always cut yourself turning rocks over, yet NEVER had an infection.

Your highly trained immune system may be one of the things that saved you!

I can understand that completely - as organic lifeforms, we are at constant war with our environment, with pathogens trying to take over; what floored you for a few days would have put me straight into the morgue in short order.

Unless you get regular doses of a low level of the pathogen, you do not maintain some immunity to it. A lot of modern humans live in a "clean" environment, so when something nasty comes, it comes hard. Poking holes in your skin is a good way of introducing some novel and nasty bugs, so I'm rather more careful at 57 than I was at 17!

8 minutes ago, jeremy996 said:

I can understand that completely - as organic lifeforms, we are at constant war with our environment, with pathogens trying to take over; what floored you for a few days would have put me straight into the morgue in short order.

Unless you get regular doses of a low level of the pathogen, you do not maintain some immunity to it. A lot of modern humans live in a "clean" environment, so when something nasty comes, it comes hard. Poking holes in your skin is a good way of introducing some novel and nasty bugs, so I'm rather more careful at 57 than I was at 17!

This is why I despise the Dettol ads telling everyone to sterilise every item of the house when Dr's are worrying about limited numbers of different types of Antibiotics to treat patients immune to them

47 minutes ago, missingsid said:

This is why I despise the Dettol ads telling everyone to sterilise every item of the house when Dr's are worrying about limited numbers of different types of Antibiotics to treat patients immune to them

There's an important difference here. Its a good thing to clean your home on a regular basis (Covid should have shown us this) and kill pathogens that might be lurking around on surfaces. Living in a clean environment isn't a problem: Irresponsible use of antibiotics however when your body could fight off what should be a trivial infection is another thing entirely. Its not you that becomes immune to antibiotics, its the bacteria that become resistant and when that happens we have a serious problem with life threatening infections.

• Like 1

I got/had septicaemia once and was 4 hours from exiting this world and I still have no idea how I got it, but I am grateful for the ex wife at the time, she called the doctor when I was saying I was ' fine '...

It's nasty stuff and you never realise it's bad until the A&E department aren't smiling so much and then the penny drops and you stop and think.

Glad you're ok!

FFFlippin' heck Jeff. Sometimes it takes something like this to provide a bit of a wake up call that maybe we are not quite as invincible as years of being lucky have led us to believe. Post cancer and being left with a dodgy immune system, I now appreciate that seemingly minor stuff can quickly morph into real life changing events in an instant which is what happened when I got a tiny "oh it's nothing" scratch from a rusty paint scraper a few months ago while still receiving chemo. That one tiny scratch resulted in an arm like a kids entertainers balloon and a fever in no time at all which my oncology team took frighteningly seriously.

• Sad 2