Men Behaving Badly meets Steptoe and Son.

Simon_CSK

I knew at the start of the year was going to be a good one and within the first week or two good news started to flow. On the 5th we got the news that my wife's visa has been approved (only been married for good 5 years) and then on the 12th I got news that my Planning Application was going to be approved. 

That was a great start to the year and now the difficult part comes in. Having lived in the cottage for 5 years, initially on my own and latterly with my youngest son, the outside currently has 4 Land Rovers, 2 Minis and two 3.5t trailers at the front and 4 Landrovers a Mini and a Boat at the rear. One this inside I am in the process of tidying my stuff away and for ever finding bits of cars under piles of other stuff. This goes on in virtually every room. The conservatory has been used as a laundry and general dumping room as the roof is not 100% watertight. My kitchen worktop has tools and car parts over about 50% of the surface and my living room floor and coffee table has various components and parts all over the place. Even the bedroom cannot escape. The only rooms clear of any car parts are the bathroom and my sons bedroom as he isn't a petrol head despite my best efforts.

I know it is not fair on my wife to move into this so have set about sorting out and tidying away. 

Just thought I would share this however photos will not be available as it is very very bad 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, JeffR said:

Welcome to my world....Found my speedo transducer in the bathroom medicine cabinet when i got out of hospital on wednesday. I blame the painkillers (which I started taking the day I got out.....).

Good luck.

Range Rover L322 seat base switches on living room coffee table, L320 clock spring and indicator switches on Kitchen worktop just now as I tidy.,

I'm kept under strict orders no car parts in the house, obviously that fails from time to time. Mostly the same goes for the garden....mostly. However I have a workshop full of stuff, a lock up garage full of stuff, a friend has moulds in their garden, another friend has two body shells and more moulds in theirs. I think I may have a problem. Oh and we've just dumped a fridge body on the drive.

Mike

My kitchen worktop has a Unimog recon brake load valve and new spring alongside a reject 4 into 1 titanium collector off a Jensen Button era BAR honda F1 engine and a volt drop tester for a 2v glass accumulator cell....

Living room....an engine governor for a 2 1/4 petrol and a brass paint airbrush and a box of series lights and gauges...

Steve

When I was young, free & single and building the 109 with no garage the welder etc. was all in the dining room :lol:

Now all my junk is in the garage or inventing shed and somehow my better half "gets away" with sitting on the sofa filing lumps of metal or covering the dining table in tools & gear but it's different because it's for jewellery :lol:

I wouldn't mind but I gave her a lovely big work bench of her own in the inventing shed :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Reading the above makes me feel kinda good. 🙂 I manage to keep almost all car related stuff in the Workshop. Occasionally some electrical bits will make it into the adjacent office or a thermostat will be tested in the kitchen (which is no more than a cabinet with a sink, fridge and microwave on the rear wall of the office). But my living and sleeping area is free from car parts. There are some tools and stuff left over from fitting the wiring and lights, I really should tidy those as I can finally say I've done everything I had planned. Apart from that the worst is some nuts and bolts or small tools on the bedside table, found in my pockets before going to sleep.

There is a wooden piece of dashboard of a Lotus Excel in the living room at my GF's. The idea was to have a fettle with that on the cold winter nights, 2 or 3 winters ago... Maybe I spend too much time on fora. 😛

I sold my house a few months ago, was a constant source of amazement how much carp treasure I had dotted in every draw, under every bed, in every cupboard, loft, box, corner and unused bit of garden.  Not helped by shutting my garage business down as well which only drew out more useful items in waiting which couldn't possibly be chucked out or sold. Even after three months of furious ebaying I had to hire two 40 foot containers to cram the leftovers into.  And by cram I mean back to front, floor to ceiling with a rat run over the top to crawl to the back 😄

I got away with a lot of it by getting mrs eightpot an old Panda 4x4 and telling her any bits she presented me with from a drawer were for her Panda 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That does sound like a good start to the year and a great problem to have.

My year is pretty carp so far. 

My best friends wife died on New Year’s Eve, my mums started chemo and radiotherapy, we’ve had a water leak in the cavity wall that’s been literally pouring into the front room, my neighbours waste water drain blocked and all of their waste water flooded our patio at the back - we’ve been 2” deep in white scummy water, works a nightmare and I’m cracking up ! 

I don’t know if I’m being negative - but it really does seem that **** comes all at once. 

• Sad 5

Did your wife knew how you lived before you got married? I have a double garage with an upstairs loft, my project cars and associated junk are all there. None of my projects live outside, out of fear we tone down the neighbourhood (I couldn't care less about this myself by the way). Anyway, you need garage space for 14 cars if you want them all out of sight. I am surprised no one has suggested to scale down yet, but then this is a petro/diesel head forum after all.

Daan

11 minutes ago, Daan said:

I am surprised no one has suggested to scale down yet

I will if you like - in my even younger and even stupider years I had multiple wheeled projects on the go and eventually worked out that none of them were ever actually getting done, at best there was enough time, money, and motivation to do one of them properly, so I picked one (the Land Rover) and sold the rest off and it was something of a weight off.

I think unless you've got a barn to keep them all in (and a load of cash to keep everything in good order), having a load of vehicles sat round waiting for you to get round to them just results in the majority gradually deteriorating.

Being a hoarder it's hard to sell stuff on but I rationalise it that if someone else is willing to buy a project from me that shows they're probably more interested than I was and more likely to actually finish it. Plus, unless it's something very rare, you can always buy another one later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anderzander said:

That does sound like a good start to the year and a great problem to have.

My year is pretty carp so far. 

My best friends wife died on New Year’s Eve, my mums started chemo and radiotherapy, we’ve had a water leak in the cavity wall that’s been literally pouring into the front room, my neighbours waste water drain blocked and all of their waste water flooded our patio at the back - we’ve been 2” deep in white scummy water, works a nightmare and I’m cracking up ! 

I don’t know if I’m being negative - but it really does seem that **** comes all at once. 

There's an old saying that bad luck runs in threes but I tend to think it being more like a prolonged steady flow [no pun intended]. I hope your luck improves very soon!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eightpot said:

I got away with a lot of it by getting mrs eightpot an old Panda 4x4 and telling her any bits she presented me with from a drawer were for her Panda 😂

Good plan. I'm not allowed "rusty junk" on the drive or in the house. The Mazda MX5 NB California is hers and any bits "caught" in the house belong to it. The last bits being disks, pads and a coil pack.

Some vehicles never make it home; my lockup is now full of my parent's old furniture and my departed father's classical music collection; it used to irregularly contain cars. There is a small network of sympathisers who stash stuff for me when I am desperate for space. A few vehicles never made it home before they were fixed, cleaned up and sold on. 

2018205400_LRMovedOn-1.thumb.jpeg.f5ea6e0b7142b3c3ac98bd37b5a69c5a.jpeg

A proper bitsa of a LR90, with a Discovery 1 engine and gearbox, bought for its wings and safari door. I dragged it back from Essex and was offered more than I paid for it before it was off the trailer. I can take a hint!

1971078656_LRMovedOn-1(2).thumb.jpeg.ff0c4d711c638ba14f66083bdfb21069.jpeg 

A Disco Commercial bought off this forum with a broken clutch never got home. Once it was working and MOTed, I got an offer I couldn't refuse, especially as I had just had my competition licence taken off me for medical reasons and the race car was for sale.

1232713074_LRMovedOn-1(1).thumb.jpeg.8570e86452f822359784e683b9e739e2.jpeg

A kit car collected and fixed for a mate, (Moss Malvern, based on a 2.0l Triumph Vitesse)

I'd like to add my 1991 LR90 to this list, but it did come home originally and did not get trapped elsewhere until the (dubious) MOT expired and we attacked the bulkhead with a hammer and magnet!

Edited by jeremy996
speeling and correcting gibberish.

Kit car, that arrived a year ago and is still on the trailer. A railway wagon, belonging to my wife, my 101. That's the last 12 months. 

No more. I'm full.

24 minutes ago, jeremy996 said:

Good plan. I'm not allowed "rusty junk" on the drive or in the house. The Mazda MX5 NB California is hers and any bits "caught" in the house belong to it. The last bits being disks, pads and a coil pack.

Some vehicles never make it home; my lockup is now full of my parent's old furniture and my departed father's classical music collection; it used to irregularly contain cars. There is a small network of sympathisers who stash stuff for me when I am desperate for space. A few vehicles never made it home before they were fixed, cleaned up and sold on. 

2018205400_LRMovedOn-1.thumb.jpeg.f5ea6e0b7142b3c3ac98bd37b5a69c5a.jpeg

A proper bitsa of a LR90, with a Discovery 1 engine and gearbox, bought for its wings and safari door. I dragged it back from Essex and was offered more than I paid for it before it was off the trailer. I can take a hint!

1971078656_LRMovedOn-1(2).thumb.jpeg.ff0c4d711c638ba14f66083bdfb21069.jpeg 

A Disco Commercial bought off this forum with a broken clutch never got home. Once it was working and MOTed, I got an offer I couldn't refuse, especially as I had just had my competition licence taken off me for medical reasons and the race car was for sale.

1232713074_LRMovedOn-1(1).thumb.jpeg.8570e86452f822359784e683b9e739e2.jpeg

Always had a hankering for a 300tdi Disco commercial. None about as nice as that now

• Like 1

Simon

I'm going about this in reverse

I seperated with my wife back before Christmas. After 20 years of not being able to store 'useful stuff' anywhere but the garage, lock up and workshop.

I'm living over the road, so I can share the kids, with the hope of buying the property of the other beneficiaries (it's my dad's old house). Sadly my brother is not excepting that the UK has had a housing market crash, so it's a 50/50 chance I'll get to the place. Meaning I darent start hording. So what I'm doing instead, is sorting. giving away, chucking away, weighing in and generally lightening the load

If I do buy the place, I'll start hording properly

Good luck

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

I'm a saint! A saint, in comparison. These photos are really appreciated, I can show to the station master and say to her: ' see! I'm a saint! '.

I feel a lot better about myself too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Daan said:

Did your wife knew how you lived before you got married? I have a double garage with an upstairs loft, my project cars and associated junk are all there. None of my projects live outside, out of fear we tone down the neighbourhood (I couldn't care less about this myself by the way). Anyway, you need garage space for 14 cars if you want them all out of sight. I am surprised no one has suggested to scale down yet, but then this is a petro/diesel head forum after all.

Daan

Not really but it certainly got worse after I was kicked out of the former marital home I shared with my Ex. For the 5 years after separation the kitchen became my defacto office and the worktops became my filing cabinet. I do need to scale back my cars because I have too many projects and with a new venture building houses my time is going to be elsewhere for at least 5 years maybe longer while I build them out. 

3 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

Simon

I'm going about this in reverse

I seperated with my wife back before Christmas. After 20 years of not being able to store 'useful stuff' anywhere but the garage, lock up and workshop.

I'm living over the road, so I can share the kids, with the hope of buying the property of the other beneficiaries (it's my dad's old house). Sadly my brother is not excepting that the UK has had a housing market crash, so it's a 50/50 chance I'll get to the place. Meaning I darent start hording. So what I'm doing instead, is sorting. giving away, chucking away, weighing in and generally lightening the load

If I do buy the place, I'll start hording properly

Good luck

I am renting my current house with the desire to buy it as soon as I can raise the funds which will hopefully be after I have built two of my houses. I have been here for five years but really only started my collection after lockdown. I have four RR Sports for spares two of which are paid up and in profit. Where I am on the A70 (take a drive on street view you will easily spot the house) people regularly stop and ask. My neighbour is President of the Toyota club so don't get ant grief from him usually helpful when I hit a snag and he gets use of my trailers to haul "stuff"

• Like 2