The "Pass the Bucket" 4x4 For Sale on Ebay Thread

Hybrid_From_Hell

Because it stops the sound from reaching the windscreen. Single glazed glass is invisible to sound, so best stop it getting beyond the bonnet.

Most diesels have under bonnet shielding from the factory, and that wouldn't happen if it wasn't the cheapest way of achieving a result.

And Dyna mat is good for stopping sound, because it has mass, which stops sound, according to an aeronautical acoustic engineer I know. 

Dyna matt stops vibrations by adding mass to a structure.

It isn't a sound barrier. 

Placing it under the bonnet will do virtually nothing to reduce engine noise other than provide a very minimal sound barrier because there is more of an object.

It will reduce vibration in the bonnet itself which in turn can help reduce the noise created by the bonnet vibrating, but that is different to placing a sound barrier on the underside of the bonnet to reduce engine noise.

The proof of the pudding is in the way in which it has been applied.  Plastering dynamat or any butyl mat onto the interior of a car ( or bonnet ) in such a way that it creates a full covering is a money making scheme using false promises to those gulible to have it.

Carefully placed strips of a butyl matt will create mass to a flimsy aluminum body panel and give the same affect as completely covering it.

However, these companies won't sell so much and thus less profit...;)

Correct engine noise reduction systems in cars don't use Butyl alone, they will use a mixture of different products.

My experience isn't in aeronautical ( had to check the spelling there! ) acoustic engineering, but it is in sound design for the hospitality sector :D

Yes. You need something over the mass as well. I use camping mats. Two layers, different foams.

I've a TDI series, and can carry out a conversation with my slightly deaf wife at 50 mph (no overdrive), without shouting.  So it does work to an extent.

I used flash band. A roofing  sealant product.

I bought one of those a couple of years ago.  The plus point was the mod fitted a new chassis and doors before releasing it, (the old one no doubt being so rotten they couldn't wheel the thing out of the depot with its belly dragging on the floor.)   On the other hand it had the most rotten decrepit lacework bulkhead I've ever seen.  When I laid it in the floor it resembled a table tennis net.

They also have awful marine sealed wiring looms which are a swine to repair or fault find, and instant death bringing sealed steel dashboards should your head ever come into contact - with the radio racking, rifle mounts and that dash I wouldn't fancy anyones chance in an accident, never mind a war! 

The escape hatch (its just a normal sunroof but with ally plate rather than glass) seems fun till it rains. 

Quite fancy it though 😂

7 hours ago, Gazzar said:

Yes. You need something over the mass as well. I use camping mats. Two layers, different foams.

I've a TDI series, and can carry out a conversation with my slightly deaf wife at 50 mph (no overdrive), without shouting.  So it does work to an extent.

I used flash band. A roofing  sealant product.

My only issue is i’m the deaf one and the wife keeps shouting at me....

even when we’re not in the landy.

That's a real shame, not really my thing but it's an otherwise great Defender. It almost looks like they ran out of money right at the end and thought "what have got in the loft that we can use - oh look Dad's old leather jacket from the 1980s"!

The steering box is a bit in your face as well. This is the only one I have seen so far that did not move the grill forwards to accommodate the engine. But as a whole, really neat job.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...