The "Pass the Bucket" 4x4 For Sale on Ebay Thread

Hybrid_From_Hell

11 hours ago, CwazyWabbit said:

I love how part of an oscillating desk fan has been grafted onto a jet engine :)

😆😆😆 It does look a bit like that!  Those are just the intake stator vanes and the front bearing supports.  The compressor is in that big aluminium housing that looks like a flywheel housing - this has a centrifugal flow compressor, much like a turbo charger.  I don’t think that mesh is going to do much if the engine runs - it stands a good chance of collapsing and being ingested.   That won’t go well…. Still, it might be made out of decent grade materials and tolerate the airflow.  It might just be a FOD guard for when the engine isn’t in use, removed for running.

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

Transit pickup with tail lift, especially suitable for gardener/tree surgeon:

MST Auctioneers | Timed On-line Auction of Engineering & Woodworking equipment, Quality ... | Lot 919

Good way to cover up those rusty sills, I expect the astro turf is structural! I do love a Smiley Transit though, many a happy mile spent at 55-60mph slowing down the artics 🙂

On 2/14/2022 at 7:41 AM, Snagger said:

😆😆😆 It does look a bit like that!  Those are just the intake stator vanes and the front bearing supports.  The compressor is in that big aluminium housing that looks like a flywheel housing - this has a centrifugal flow compressor, much like a turbo charger.  I don’t think that mesh is going to do much if the engine runs - it stands a good chance of collapsing and being ingested.   That won’t go well…. Still, it might be made out of decent grade materials and tolerate the airflow.  It might just be a FOD guard for when the engine isn’t in use, removed for running.

This reminds me of a guy I used to work with ........

When he did his National Service with the RAF in the early 1950s, they had F86 Sabre fighters on the airfield. They had a full frontal air intake, and if the engine was run up while on the ground, there had to be a cage installed over it, to prevent large FOD damage. One day, a passing ground crew member passed too close (about six feet, he said) just as the throttle was opened and he was dragged against it and held there, until one of the other guys waved at the mechanic to shut it down. he was terrified and passed out. 

There is footage online of a US Navy carrier deck crew member being sucked down the intake of an A6.  He was able to wedge himself and the other crew and aircrew reacted quickly enough that he didn’t reach the engine.

One airline I worked for had an engineer lose and arm to a JT8D engine on a 737-200.  Nasty business.  There is very good video of a recent accident in Chicago of an Air China 747 freighter taxiing way to fast on snow covered conditions and poor visibility sucking a couple of ULDs (cargo boxes) through an engine and hitting a load of other equipment.  There was nothing left of the ULDs…

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

Excellent news, I bought a complete 200tdi Defender for not much more than half of that this week!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

You can buy a brand new one from Turners for that price +VAT.

Just checked. £4,674 inc VAT but looks like no Injection pump, certainly no manifolds or ancillaries plus the biggest killer is the need for an exchange engine

Hmmm, does anyone want to buy a project 200tdi 90?