The EBay Christ I fancy that 4x4 + its cheap thread

On 12/19/2022 at 11:40 AM, Daan said:

To echo the above, currently for sale on facebook for less than a decent willys jeep:

Product photo of 1943 GMC  cckw 353 cargo

There's usually quite a few Jimmy's up for sale, in fact there are usually quite a number of tempting WW2 trucks up for grabs but as said before you need access to undercover storage. The size issue is why decent MB & GPW Jeeps and Dodge 1/2 & 3/4 ton wagons etc are so popular.

Edited to add photo of one of my previous toys. 1943 Dodge WC54. Not too big, not too small, a llovely old bus with bench seats in the back, four stretchers to kip on at shows etc if required, plentiful spares supply ....and the luxury of a heater!

IMG_20220918_192453.thumb.jpg.89c9a2199c5d2e73bf7d11c85486cc93.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Happyoldgit said:

Edited to add photo of one of my previous toys. 1943 Dodge WC54. Not too big, not too small, a llovely old bus with bench seats in the back, four stretchers to kip on at shows etc if required, plentiful spares supply ....and the luxury of a heater!

IMG_20220918_192453.thumb.jpg.89c9a2199c5d2e73bf7d11c85486cc93.jpg

I'd seriously consider donating an organ for one of them....

9 hours ago, JohnnoK said:

I'd seriously consider donating an organ for one of them....

Lovely six pot lump, 4WD, big brakes, a bit prone to rot in the join above the cab, screen frame and rear doors but they could all be found or easily repaired. Substantial chassis and bumpers, few argued with it. 

• Like 2

On 12/28/2022 at 11:13 PM, Daan said:

Also wearing an illegal identity.  It doesn’t have enough build points to retain the VIN - apart from the chassis and suspension scoring only 7 of the required 8 points, the chassis has had significant structural alteration, which disqualifies it.  Unfortunate, but a case of buyer beware.  Could be a good project for someone who doesn’t mind doing the IVA stuff, or if they are willing to return the chassis to “close enough to standard” and refit one more original spec mechanical assembly (axles, steering or transmission).

I do wish vendors would stop misapplying the term “barn find”.

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

Sadly ten years is easily enough time for the original to rot out in some circumstances. 

Yep. I suppose that's the result of the improved corrosion resistant materials JLR boasted about when I queried why the early Puma I bought new in 2007 had just a thin coat of black paint and no wax on the chassis.

I suppose

"Refurbished onto a  Galvanised chassis with a plan for a long term relationship by its current owner.

Alas plans have changed.."

Is their way of saying the original chassis was like a pair of net curtains in places.

Edited by Happyoldgit
Sorting format ...failed.

• 3 weeks later...