The EBay Christ I fancy that 4x4 + its cheap thread

51 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Nice, so pretty soon! :)

Not quite, as I found out our 83 doesn't go tax exempt till January by then it'll be nigh on 41 years. 🤬

I'm also led to believe kit cars are exempt from ulez though mine still shows £12.50 a day but I suspect it's because it's diesel.

Back on topic, I saw it and thought yes I'd daily that too. It even has a fairey 525 on the front. I thought the cross member was stock bar the recessed lights.

Mike

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

Not quite, as I found out our 83 doesn't go tax exempt till January by then it'll be nigh on 41 years. 🤬

I'm also led to believe kit cars are exempt from ulez though mine still shows £12.50 a day but I suspect it's because it's diesel.

Back on topic, I saw it and thought yes I'd daily that too. It even has a fairey 525 on the front. I thought the cross member was stock bar the recessed lights.

Mike

Standard chassis avoids a lot of issues.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2023 at 12:19 AM, ThreePointFive said:

…….. Going by the wheels and the suspension mounts, I guess Land Rover. The cross member seems well modified to hide what it is.

I don't understand how you can make that assessment.  Can you please help me.  It appears that there are only two photos and I can’t see any of the suspension.  Yes, I can see that the wheels have 5 studs, but where can you see suspension mounts and the cross member?  I’m not trying to be a smart-ass, but please tell me what I’m missing.

Mike

10 minutes ago, Troll Hunter said:

I don't understand how you can make that assessment.  Can you please help me.  It appears that there are only two photos and I can’t see any of the suspension.  Yes, I can see that the wheels have 5 studs, but where can you see suspension mounts and the cross member?  I’m not trying to be a smart-ass, but please tell me what I’m missing.

Mike

It's definitely land rover based as there are a few more photos on Facebook where I found it, I didn't put the FB link for the benefit of those who don't do FB.

Mike

44 minutes ago, Troll Hunter said:

Mike

The bits of chassis you can see, the axle ends you can see, the springs and perches you can see - all scream coiler Land Rover to me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CwazyWabbit said:

That's also a Superwinch land rover bumper.

Cough, fairey 525 winch and bumper it only became superwinch when they bought faireys winch department and produced the H14 using the same pto drop box.

I'll take my anorak off now. :hysterical:

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Funny, I thought I was pointing out the obvious when I said it. For all of the reasons above, it just looks like a 110 chassis. Plus if it was much else, it would be on rear leaf springs - that's clearly a coil spring seat.

It seems to be very cleverly done, though.

13 hours ago, Blanco said:

Novel take on a 6x6....

Brightwells Auction

That gets more interesting the more you look at it. Turning the 4x4 drivetrain into 6x6 that way is not something I've seen before (my knowledge of 6x6 vehicles is low). Do any of the forum gurus know more about this type of drive? Is the power split by gear/chain drive in the beam?

I also wish there was a better photo of how the main beams attach to the chassis. 

I can't work out from the photos if the rear track is wider than the front, from some photos it looks like it is but in others not. It's a bit awkward looking, but understandable why it would be. 

27 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

That gets more interesting the more you look at it. Turning the 4x4 drivetrain into 6x6 that way is not something I've seen before (my knowledge of 6x6 vehicles is low). Do any of the forum gurus know more about this type of drive? Is the power split by gear/chain drive in the beam?

I also wish there was a better photo of how the main beams attach to the chassis. 

I can't work out from the photos if the rear track is wider than the front, from some photos it looks like it is but in others not. It's a bit awkward looking, but understandable why it would be. 

They can be chain or gear driven, this scammell drawing might shed some light on it:

A Brute! Converting Scammell Pioneer to Explorer off road recovery - all of  it - Trucks - KitMaker Network

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's just lovely! I've always had a soft spot for the 6X6 Scammels with their walking beam tandem.

Didn't Bill Van Snorkle have a similar 6X6 back in the day, based on a Series and also with walking beams?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Escape said:

That's just lovely! I've always had a soft spot for the 6X6 Scammels with their walking beam tandem.

Didn't Bill Van Snorkle have a similar 6X6 back in the day, based on a Series and also with walking beams?

He did indeed 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...