Snapped aftermarket hockey stick

FridgeFreezer

Not in my opinion , there is no way any fabrication could possibly come anywhere near the factory item . These things encapsulate the risk of so-called upgrades with highly safety critical parts . They should be regulated out of production , utter carp .

cheers

Steve b

• Like 2

Top bit does look rusty, but a steel fabrication will just bend under compression. Looks like a fatigue fracture to me, maybe finished off by impact.

As an aside, look at the way the powder coat has peeled off and rusted underneath it.

On 12/31/2019 at 3:11 PM, steve b said:

Not in my opinion , there is no way any fabrication could possibly come anywhere near the factory item . These things encapsulate the risk of so-called upgrades with highly safety critical parts . They should be regulated out of production , utter carp .

cheers

Steve b

I agree. I looked at these a number of years ago and decided I would put up with having slightly odd steering.

I think they have fallen onto a rock or run into something fast as a dead stop. Slid off a ledge with the brakes on etc. I cant imagine the torque or driving / braking has done that. Still good going though. I've never known anything go like that. I wonder if it was damaged before this event and this was the final straw? Perhaps in the past slid sideways onto something which would tear the thin top and bottom edges of the I section which of course is what gives it the up and down strength. 

I'm not sure it fair to say they're all rubbish, lots use them and find them quite adequate. I think there are a lot that make them with no design or testing, they just copy what they see, or it could be damage the owner hasn't seen which has escalated. I think it was colin Chapman who used to say if it doesn't break it's too strong 🤣

Years ago, QT arms were well known for failing in similar ways, though more under the axle between the fixings.

they then changed the design which helped, but they still failed with a good whump into something where a standard arm would be fine. 

Gwyn Lewis bends the standard arms for castor correction for this reason. 

5 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Years ago, QT arms were well known for failing in similar ways, though more under the axle between the fixings.

You mean like this?

radius_arm_wtf.jpg

@Cynic-al - there's zero rocks on the site for him to hit, it's very soft sandy soil. My best guess is powering up a climb or something given where it happened on site. Either that or somehow driving into a tree, root, or hole in the ground coming down - but no damage on the wing so likely not a tree.

Yup, exactly @FridgeFreezer, that was the picture I remember.

QT then stopped drilling under the axle, which would reduce the chance of that failure. 

I seem to remember the discussion on that came tot he conclusion that that arm had fractured over time, as the broken edges are partially rusty. 

I bet flex was good with it like that..... 

• Like 1