Thoughts and Musings on the Ineos Grenadier

Bowie69

Fair enough.  I just prefer not to ruin the lines of the vehicles.  I completely agree that they are working vehicles and practicality far outweighs aesthetics, but most of these roofs are ugly as hell.  John Horne did a full folding roof on his 109, along the lines I had been considering for the future, using a steel frame and just the original roof, so it looks completely standard closed.  That appeals to me.

Local dealer had three on display at the Sandringham Game & Country Fair at the weekend. I spent a fair while looking over all three, luggage compartment, back seat area, underneath engine, bodywork and spent a long time sitting in the drivers seat taking everything in and chatting to a nice lady member of the public who joined in the passenger seat. My 21 y/o daughter was with me was approached and chatted to by a young member of the dealership. Walked away, went  back later, did the same again. 
Hundreds of vehicles in the parking areas but Grenadiers I saw not one.

The first ones have landed in the deep south and I went for a nose at it the other day. Not available to test for a while but first impressions were that it looks a lot nicer in the flesh than in most of the photos (the one I looked at was dark green which is my colour choice anyway). First impressions were, driver's seating position generally comfortable but not sure about the left leg for long trips, would have to try it. I thought the 2nd row pax legroom looked a bit tight. Lots of nice solid tiedowns in the back. It looked and felt like a vehicle that was built to be used. The main stumbling block still seems to be the price having doubled. Shall continue to watch with interest.

Slight surprise this weekend when a fellow scout leader I know of rocked up to camp this weekend in his new Grenadier. He’d previously had a 300tdi 110. Got chatting Friday night and Saturday brekkie and was offered a drive. Busy Saturday wiped out any time but took it for a drive around one of the fields this morning. 

Had an area probably 70-80m x 40 or so, not a massive area but some undulations. It drives and rides beautifully over the lumps and bumps. I didn’t miss having the clocks in front of the driver as it sat nicely for me with the central screen in my view. That might change on road, but I’m pretty used to similar with the heads up display on the mini. It’s the petrol version, so smooth and almost silent, but with lots of get up and go.

Owner says he’s loving it so far (3xxx miles), just waiting on some software updates like others and said the manual is missing some bits of info on the auxiliary wiring but has a bit saying don’t drink the petrol! He’s had to add an accessible negative terminal under the bonnet for jump starting others (already got a factory positive one) as it’s a pain to find anything usable under there.

My only trouble… and what would probably be a killer for me was the left leg ramp/rest. Admittedly I didn’t change the wheel position at all as it was comfortable, but I think I’d really struggle on a long journey without the thigh sitting on the seat. My leg was the exact length to go from foot rest to underside of steering wheel :(

IMG_8642.thumb.jpeg.b2da96d9a431488e0b2dd96bac15a508.jpeg
IMG_8641.thumb.jpeg.1e70bec94680250e19402374821e91b6.jpegIMG_8643.thumb.jpeg.2f93c9d4a2032e8beca4c6664f3d1472.jpeg

• Like 2

Good point.  The design should allow the enthusiast to do a few modifications and it could become a decent bush basher (though you'd really want a shorter version to be a proper hoon!).  I'm no longer one of those but there's still a high chance I'd get one when they are older and scratch the paint a bit.  If the price ever comes down - it might end up being like an old Land Rover because of supply and demand...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I replied on X/Twitter, suggesting that Sir Jim had run off with his significant other. He is a well known auto journalist, currently editing EVO.

Evo's usual coverage is supercars and fast saloons; I cannot think of anything more NOT a supercar or fast saloon than a Grenadier. To expect it to drive the same way is delusional. To dislike it is fine, we don't all like the same things, but to claim it is dangerous suggests someone in need of a reality adjustment.

I don't buy Evo, I find it dull and too niche for me.

• Haha 1

I hope he gets sued into oblivion.  It is the claim of being dangerous that gets my goat too - so many petulant sports car drivers and non-drivers make these ill-informed comments about 4wd cars being unstable and dangerous without a clue of what they are talking about.

3 hours ago, jeremy996 said:

I replied on X/Twitter, suggesting that Sir Jim had run off with his significant other. He is a well know auto journalist, currently editing EVO.

Evo's usual coverage is supercars and fast saloons; I cannot think of anything more NOT a supercar or fast saloon than a Grenadier. To expect it to drive the same way is delusional. To dislike it is fine, we don't all like the same things, but to claim it is dangerous suggests someone in need of a reality adjustment.

I don't buy Evo, I find it dull and too niche for me.

I've never read Evo but I guess it must have gone downhill since Mr Metcalfe's days. I can't imagine him writing such twoddle.

Having driven one of Sir Jim's products I was very impressed. It's a much more relaxing and comfortable experience than my aged 110.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mickeyw said:

I've never read Evo but I guess it must have gone downhill since Mr Metcalfe's days. I can't imagine him writing such twoddle.

Having driven one of Sir Jim's products I was very impressed. It's a much more relaxing and comfortable experience than my aged 110.

I think most modern 4x4's would be somewhat more relaxing and comfortable than an aged 110 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, jeremy996 said:

My CAR magazine for December 2023 turned up yesterday containing a Giant test comparing the current LR Defender, Ineos Grenadier and the Ford Ranger.

They preferred the LR Defender - the most expensive vehicle, as the test vehicle is quoted at over £91k.

CAR December 2023 P40-P51.pdf 4.56 MB · 1 download

Not really surprising a car magazine would opt for the most car like vehicle (while ignoring price too). Also a bit of an odd test really. Would be like getting an Elise, Focus RS and BMW estate together. i.e. they could all be labeled as drivers cars, but all very different vehicles.

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, mickeyw said:

This came up in my news feed today. The Grenadier is being embraced by our emergency services.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/the-ineos-grenadier-finally-replaces-the-land-rover-defender-but-with-a-twist-224884.html

It looks good I think! I think it’s likely to be the first of many as defenders get retired.

• Like 1

Perfect!  It will be interesting to see how well it fares in the long term, given their expectation of decades of service.  My guess is that, some twenty years down the road, lack of availability of some plastic or electronic component, rather than any serious wear, tear or rust, will be the thing that scuppers it.  God willing, I'll still be around to hear about it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, deep said:

My guess is that, some twenty years down the road, lack of availability of some plastic or electronic component, rather than any serious wear, tear or rust, will be the thing that scuppers it.  God willing, I'll still be around to hear about it.

Maybe once - these days we can 3D print a new part or get a PCB made for peanuts. In 20 years time we'll probably be able to throw a plastic part in the 3D equivalent of a photocopier, that's if no-one else has already scanned it and made the model available for free online as happens for a ton of stuff already.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a4354/4320759/

3 hours ago, Happyoldgit said:

Hope they got a substantial discount.

I have to wonder how these stack up against the usual pickups in terms of fleet costs. With those, you can dispose of them by the time their first service is due when they cost so little to buy and the residuals are so low (a slight exaggeration, maybe).

There's a reason RNLI use the L200, nothing to do with off road ability when it gets covered in salt every day. 

These will have to reach a longer service life to 'pay back' the purchase cost and that takes actual maintenance.

I don't doubt they're capable of a long life, but curious to know how the numbers work when your starting point is almost twice that of other vehicles.