Defender Insurance

Good evening,

Im wondering if anyone can help I've got a 90 hard top 2.2 and looking to insurance it where is the best place, will be used on the farm so towing trailer insurance would be a must! Theres quotes for over 2k which is absolutely ridiculous !

Finally just checking are all defenders now called as a van when insuring? The insurers don't have a clue themselves !

Cheers

Adrian Flux is who I use. Are you a young driver? I think the van thing is more important weather you can carry passengers in the back.

You can maybe go for a classic car insurance on lower miles, depending of the year of car.

Daan

1 minute ago, Daan said:

Adrian Flux is who I use. Are you a young driver? I think the van thing is more important weather you can carry passengers in the back.

You can maybe go for a classic car insurance on lower miles, depending of the year of car.

Daan

+1 for Adrian flux regards Stephen

Footman James is worth a call, the people I dealt with knew their stuff and my (extensive) list of mods was no problem.

Regarding the van status, if it came out of the factory as a Hard Top then it'll be a van for insurance. If it was a station wagon it would likely be classed as an estate car for reasons I can't quite work out. Or at least mine was.

You need to check them all! It's a real pain but their attitude to your risk is variable and the prices quoted are specific to everything about you. I am with the NFU via their local office and one of the reasons is their willingness to consider all the little mods and improvements I have done, for no extra premium. Other companies seem to rack-up the price as soon as I do that.

• 1 month later...

+1 For Adrian Flux. I've had a couple of minor prangs since I started driving (in other vehicles). 35 now. They insured my 130 station wagon conversion, 6 seats, 25% HP increase, rollcage, lots of extra bits and bobs and it's about £800. That's a lot, but I couldn't get any other insurers to even give me a quote. They're great for anything non standard/modified. Customer service has been great, their app is handy and I've generally not had any issues. 

Not made a claim yet, so can't comment on that. Hopefully never have to.

6 hours ago, PolarBlair said:

+1 For Adrian Flux. I've had a couple of minor prangs since I started driving (in other vehicles). 35 now. They insured my 130 station wagon conversion, 6 seats, 25% HP increase, rollcage, lots of extra bits and bobs and it's about £800. That's a lot, but I couldn't get any other insurers to even give me a quote. They're great for anything non standard/modified. Customer service has been great, their app is handy and I've generally not had any issues. 

Not made a claim yet, so can't comment on that. Hopefully never have to.

My 109 policy was cheaper than that and it has a lot of mods too.  I did have to make a big claim once, and they were very good.

I could never get much sense out of Flux. Went to them expecting wonders given what folk have said on here before. Might have well have been talking to 'Del Boys insurance for Jeeps'

I was with NFU for years. Then Cornish Mutual literally halved their quote for me with the same level of cover. 

Edited by reb78

I'm happy with Flux, been with them around 30 year, I will admit to not shopping around, maybe I should, however when my quote comes through I always follow my gut reaction to it, and so far Flux has delivered the goods, this year £138 fully comp with all modifications declared regards Stephen

• 4 months later...

Having been with and advocated the NFU for over 25 years I am dismayed to find this year's renewal has doubled in price to cover my 110.

I have a multi car policy with them covering my 20 year old Merc estate as well as the 110. The Merc cover has actually dropped in price, despite having my 81 YO mother on there. The 110 (4.2 V8 CSW with winch and big tyres) has jumped from £350 odd to £626 for myself and SWMBO. Policy total has gone from £619.54 to £907.28. This is for fully comp cover SD&P plus business use, and a 4000 miles per year limit on both vehicles. There have been no changes to drivers' clean records, all is exactly as per last year.
I questioned whether there had been an error but was given some BS reply

'The underwriters came back to say both vehicles are in line/below the current technical rates and the change rate amounts are within the 20%cap and therefore the renewal price is correct.'

I followed on by questioning the 20% cap part as even the whole policy cost has gone up by 46%! Maybe I'm misunderstanding things... I await their reply.

So now I've been looking at alternatives. Heritage offered good prices for comparable cover, but I am unsure whether to go with their Classic policy for the LR or the mod 4x4. I explained that I use the vehicle off road at play days, but they seemed unconcerned which cover I chose, which worries me considering there's quite a price difference.

More phoning to do, but I'm a bit peeved with the NFU's response

• Like 1

A-plan thatcham have always been very helpful and good to speak to, but as has been said do the legwork and spend a whole day ringing everyone you can unless your initial quote is less than £200 you are probably going to save enough to make it worthwhile.

On 8/1/2022 at 12:00 PM, mickeyw said:

Having been with and advocated the NFU for over 25 years I am dismayed to find this year's renewal has doubled in price to cover my 110.

I have a multi car policy with them covering my 20 year old Merc estate as well as the 110. The Merc cover has actually dropped in price, despite having my 81 YO mother on there. The 110 (4.2 V8 CSW with winch and big tyres) has jumped from £350 odd to £626 for myself and SWMBO. Policy total has gone from £619.54 to £907.28. This is for fully comp cover SD&P plus business use, and a 4000 miles per year limit on both vehicles. There have been no changes to drivers' clean records, all is exactly as per last year.
I questioned whether there had been an error but was given some BS reply

'The underwriters came back to say both vehicles are in line/below the current technical rates and the change rate amounts are within the 20%cap and therefore the renewal price is correct.'

I followed on by questioning the 20% cap part as even the whole policy cost has gone up by 46%! Maybe I'm misunderstanding things... I await their reply.

So now I've been looking at alternatives. Heritage offered good prices for comparable cover, but I am unsure whether to go with their Classic policy for the LR or the mod 4x4. I explained that I use the vehicle off road at play days, but they seemed unconcerned which cover I chose, which worries me considering there's quite a price difference.

More phoning to do, but I'm a bit peeved with the NFU's response

Eek!

With A Flux, my Defender’s premium went down £9 this year, my every day Fiesta went down just under two quid and the premium for my Riley Kestrel stayed the same!

On 1/25/2022 at 12:37 PM, landroversforever said:

Have a chat with your local NFU office, not always the best price, but decent cover. 

This is a very good point to consider, particularly when buying on price. You only find out how good they are when you need them - a bit late then! Read all the small print and ask lots of questions.