Thoughts and musings on the new defender

10 hours ago, BogMonster said:

My initial thoughts were

5) Tyres are still too small for soft ground and no amount of terrain response helps if you are sitting on the floorpan.

Tyres are wider than and the same diameter as was standard on former Defenders!  32".  The black one has plenty of space in that pic for something larger too.

The two pics circling the internet of the green one are actually quite appealing.  The black one is hideous.  Still, looks are secondary to function, for me at least.  I'm now wondering what can be done to protect the front end when pushing through vegetation and how it will stand up to rocky river beds and the like?  Also, crucially for me to ever buy one, will there be something equivalent to the old hard top versions?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, deep said:

Tyres are wider than and the same diameter as was standard on former Defenders!  32".  The black one has plenty of space in that pic for something larger too.

The two pics circling the internet of the green one are actually quite appealing.  The black one is hideous.  Still, looks are secondary to function, for me at least.  I'm now wondering what can be done to protect the front end when pushing through vegetation and how it will stand up to rocky river beds and the like?  Also, crucially for me to ever buy one, will there be something equivalent to the old hard top versions?

And the first thing anybody regularly operating on soft ground does is chuck the factory's very limited selection of narrow 32" tyres away.

If it's possible to fit wider and slightly taller tyres that would be great. It apparently rides on 815mm tyres, and the only size I can compute to that on an 18" rim is 255/70R18. If those can be swapped for something like a 305 section then it'll be cooking with gas.

Agree with the front end comment though. The old steel bumper would take some abuse and was easy and cheap to replace when you got too carried away and bent it.

I wasn't going to comment on the eternal looks until the launch fearing it was a hoax but it doesn't look like that is the case now.
I'm struggling to find complimentary things to say about it from a perspective that isn't purely urban and also failing miserably to find a single design cue from the past 70ish years of (proper) land rovers..
I think the look has more in common with early Y61 Nissan Patrols, sharing a similar waist line, almost identical glass and various body lines. By the same token, it has aspects similar to the Toyota land cruiser too.
It’s like the designers have taken their cues from various successful Japanese 4x4’s rather than any from the defender or previous generations thereof. If it was a Discovery, it would be awesome and amazing. I hope it sells and does JLR proud but as a durable workhorse, I think the vulnerable and fragile looking front wings, no bumper or place to jack from and the low hanging doors and sills speak volumes about it's intended role. I think it's safe to say the Defender is very dead. Long live the impostor.

Edited by Jamie_grieve
  • Like 1

Have to say I agree with Jamie_grieve.  I had been hoping for something less vulnerable.  The wheel-arch eyebrows are going to get destroyed, plastic or not.

I have an older RRS which is not exactly 'rugged' but looks good in it's own right - and I would have been happy with something that looks great that isn't that utilitarian.  Unfortunately, this is neither.

Have to find something else to spend all the pennies I've saved up on!

Si

I quite like it.  My big concern is that it will mirror the idiotic issue with the D5, namely the tapered boot, chronically uncomfortable second row seats and finally, the awe inspiring unreliability (one of our motors is on it's fourth Turbo in less than 10k) 

11 hours ago, Jamie_grieve said:

failing miserably to find a single design cue from the past 70ish years of (proper) land rovers..

And yet motoring journos can find quite a few...

This off-roader appears to carry quite a lot of heritage cues from its forebears, including a large, flat hood, chunky sides, and an instantly recognizable side profile.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-the-2020-land-rover-defender-before-youre-suppose-1837597472

I can see plenty - the line along the side is very Defender if you look at the roll of the bodywork and the door tops in that photo it's like looking at the side of a CSW. Alpine windows and a TDCi bonnet too... the one on white steelies in the autocar article has a certain familiar feel.

I see design cues from Disco/RR aplenty, it even looks like a facelift Amorok or Ford Ranger - maybe from the rear & side it will start to feel a little more familiar, but the front end has no resemblance to anything Defender/Series to me, they could have been a lot more playful.

There's still a glimmer of hope its a bluff in fake body panels -  and a magnificent rivet clad iron beast truck with gas lamps, horsehair seats, cart springs and a merlin engine will be rolled out in a couple of weeks time 🤩

18 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Quite a bit more info on Autocar about spec, trim, and release dates:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-land-rover-defender-2019

Taken from this article: "The Defender 90 is described as the “halo image icon” of the Defender and is aimed at “the young, affluent fun seekers”.

I think that sums up the new Defender for me. I'm sure it'll be an accomplished vehicle that looks flashy and fits in well on the school run but it won't be the kind of vehicle that you could actually use for work. I'd be terrified of scratching it or bending those plastic bits. The interior will also be far too nice to chuck a load of timber in the back or accommodate my dogs when they've been rolling in god-knows-what. I agree with others who say this should've been the next Disco instead of the misshapen hippo they produced.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, paime said:

I'd be terrified of scratching it or bending those plastic bits. The interior will also be far too nice to chuck a load of timber in the back or accommodate my dogs when they've been rolling in god-knows-what.

Could you have said this about the D1 or RRC when those came out though? Or the FL or D2, D3, etc... as they get cheaper people are using them for "utilitarian" purposes with no qualms and I don't see much more or less problem with scratching a brand new shiny "old" Defender than one of these?

Sure it would feel bad to throw a muddy dog in the back of a brand new car, but that would be true for almost anything brand new.

• Like 1

I still maintain that this is no successor to the Defender, in market, role, character, adaptability or dependability (slightly different from reliability).  Time will tell if it’s capable as a drive and reliable, but it is clearly not suitable for works, emergency services, military or expedition type use, and is thus unfit for the name.  It’s just a slightly beefier D5 it’s body kit for the rich hipster, but guess what?  They’ll want electric vehicles, so this’ll be another nail in LR’s coffin, with more brand dilution and model confusion, competing for sales with other LR products instead of other brands.

6 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Could you have said this about the D1 or RRC when those came out though? Or the FL or D2, D3, etc... as they get cheaper people are using them for "utilitarian" purposes with no qualms and I don't see much more or less problem with scratching a brand new shiny "old" Defender than one of these?

Sure it would feel bad to throw a muddy dog in the back of a brand new car, but that would be true for almost anything brand new.

Respectfully, i'm not sure i agree. The new Defender has been marketed as a utility off roader but yet it'll cost way too much and will likely be too fragile to risk being used in anger. I would group it in with the D3 and D4 which were aimed at a more gentile market that might drive it across a grass field on their way to the next pheasant drive but nothing more, despite it's abilities. The old Defender, on the other hand, was used by many in anger straight out of the wrapper. I have no issues with the new Defender being used for the school run but it's not a patch on the old Defender and doesn't even sit in the same bracket as it imho