Propshaft Tool

I have a pair of the 'correct' spanners which make the job a little easier but I bought a propshaft tool about 6-years ago and it makes the job a breeze. It is one of those tools that make a slightly awkward job into an easy one. Ok, you can do the job quite well without one but as soon as you have bought one you will wonder why you didn't do it years ago.

Um....I must be on my own then in saying I wouldnt bother really, just use a couple of 9/16 spanners. I have got the proper tool but find that it doesnt get to all the nuts on the transfer end of the prop that easily and often revert to using spanners. :huh:

I HAD one, binned it. Far too heavy and difficult to use. It would be a different story with a windy gun to hand I prefere the two 9/16 AF spanners. One day I will jump on the Snap-On van and buy a 1/4 drive 9/16 AF socket.

You think the Defender is difficult ? Then try a series One with WHITWORTH headed nuts and bolts...

As most of the above, I wouldn't want to be without mine - BUT - you do need to be aware that you will need to rotate the prop to "open up" the gap to get it onto the nuts without jamming or putting excess sideways force onto the bolts.

Personally think they are pretty pointless, you still need to rotate the prop to use them correctly...and spanners do the job just fine, may add 30 secs to the job..oh dear lol. Rather spend that £16 or whatever on diesel, when I'm rich and can splash money over the place I'll get all these 'special' tools. :P

Saves a lot of time in my experience.... they become 'just another bolt' rather than a right pain to get to.

Normally slack in the drivetrain is enough to get the tool on/off, no need to rotate the prop any more than that.

Its a yes from me.

I think you will find the older you get the easier you want to make jobs, especially the laying on your back underneath getting cr*p in your eyes jobs. We've all been there even with safety specs on it still finds its way in somehow. But some might say thats why landys have mirrors that turn out so you can fish the bits out of your eyes with rolled up tissue. :blink:

You will also find that over time the continual visits to your local landy parts supplier will mean you get on first name terms with them and things should get a fair bit cheaper!

The easiest way to remove a prop (say the front one) is to lift one of the wheels of the ground, undo the nut and bolt at the bottom then rotate the wheel. This will bring the nuts and bolts to you rather than chasing them around the flange.

With wind spanners, prop off in 30 secs on the floor.

:)