eBay Moral compass

Anderzander

You folk of this forum seem nicely dedicated to doing the right thing - so I wondered if you'd be my moral compass for a moment.

It's about selling (Land Rover Parts!) outside of eBay.

I don't like it when I'm bidding on something and prepared to pay decent money for it - for the item to then be pulled.

So, when I was asked to sell something outside of my auction I said I would as long as no one was bidding on it.

In this instance 18 hours or so then elapsed without them having made payment - and someone bid on it - so I pulled the plug on it and said I'd let the auction run.

They though see themselves as having made an agreement and me reneging on it - and are really quite put out on it.

I haven't really reneged on it I think because my deal was that I'd sell it on the condition no one else was bidding and that criteria has not been met.

I still feel though that whatever decision I had made I'd be letting either the bidder down or the out of eBay chap.

eBay are also obviously clamping down on this as they now charge their fee, where someone is bidding, if you finish it early. But that's not the issue for me - it's about doing the right thing.

I put in the auction description - 'advertised elsewhere' - but that seems a bit redundant now ?

Is the only right thing not to sell outside of eBay once you've listed ? Is this chap justifiably aggrieved ? Any clarity people might share on it.

Best bet, make no deals or a buy it now price and let it run to the end.

I got more peeved by the idiots not coming to collect, saw mates getting caught out on paypal disputes and not getting paid so insisted cash on collection.

No he does not have a right to be aggrieved but it won't stop him ;-)

Did the independent buyer agree to pay immediately? If not, then 48 hours does not seem unreasonable to me, and relisting on eBay after 18 hours would seem a little impatient - people do have busy lives and can't always make instant transactions. If he had agreed to pay immediately, then relisting as you did is not unfair. As always, context is everything.

Did the independent buyer agree to pay immediately? If not, then 48 hours does not seem unreasonable to me, and relisting on eBay after 18 hours would seem a little impatient - people do have busy lives and can't always make instant transactions. If he had agreed to pay immediately, then relisting as you did is not unfair. As always, context is everything.

Yes, but the OP didn't exactly re-list, he left the original listing running. A bid could have come in 'immediately', which would have blown the enquirer away.

This is a risk the enquirer takes, indeed, it's a risk any auction viewer makes, that someone else does 'something' and the item is lost to us.

Hello cruel world.

Agreeing to any action outside the initial parameters (leaving the auction running to conclusion, including a Buy It Now, etc) leaves the seller open to criticism or penalty. Some are more justified than others.

You can be like Royalty, and just ignore it.

You can be more courteous (which can seem like rubbing salt in the wound) and explain why you reacted as you did.

You can offer 'compensation' of some sort, but doing that to a stranger via eBay?? I wouldn't bother, there are some people with sharper elbows and wits than yours. You don't really know who you are dealing with.

I think the OP probably didn't realise the full possible (negative) consequences of his action, so having made what turned out to be an insult, will just have to accept the slap round the ear, and move on.

As the results have been found unpleasant, I suggest that in future you stick to the initial parameters you set, and don't try to be 'nice' to strangers by changing stream mid-auction.

HTH

End of day, it hasn't cost the person who wanted to buy outside of eBay a single penny, maybe a few inconvenienced electrons.

He or she will get over it.

Now more generally this "advertised elsewhere" businesses tinkles me off. Why should I waste my time bidding on something that is almost certainly going to be pulled if it doesn't meet the sellers price. Just stick a minimum on and let it run.

But everyone's different and its not life or death...... is it.

• Like 1

Trading outside of eBay is a gamble, you are gambling that you wouldn't make more by letting the auction run and buyer is gambling that he'll get it cheaper/sooner than letting the auction run. Your ad was clear in that it stated for sale elsewhere (eg it could have been for sale on here resulting in it being pulled if sold to one of us) and your offer to the agrieved buyer sounds fairly clear to me.

So just ignore them and get on with life now, life is too short to be worrying about some stranger who didn't bother to read the terms of your offer.

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about it. If I as a buyer have gone to the effort of persuading you to sell something outside of an auction, I would go to the effort of paying fairly rapidly too. These folks that drift off and seemingly lose interest just leave you in limbo wondering if you really have a sale or are still in discussion about it. It's not just buyers, some sellers are like it too... IRB Developments are bloody awful at it - they've left me mid conversation about items before so I've ended up buying elsewhere.

One thing I've done in the past when selling on ebay is added a BIN option to the auction for the agreed price so they can commit to buy and are then bound by whatever ebay rules apply to buyers (as loose as they may be). Sure, you still have to pay the fees but, if like me, you haven't got a lot of seller feedback, it might be worth it to build that up.

I agreed to buy an engine on here some time ago, the seller wanted cash on collection, PMs went back and forth to arrange a collection date and then I received one saying he'd sold it to someone he thought 'needed' the engine more than me. Great! I was pee'd off about that. He had no idea how much I needed the engine. What you gonna do...? Can't please everyone!

• Like 1

I refuse to end any auction early, even if I think it could get more for it. I hate it when your bidding and someone pulls it and from my experience most people who ask for a buy it now think your going to give it away or are complete time wasters. Especially as I always start auctions at 99p. I had a car that was worth £1200 in my opinion. The number of people who contacted me for a buy it now and I never heard from again or tried to haggle me down at £1200 was unreal, the auction ran and the car sold for over £1500.

Just tell them tough and to bid or don't bid.

I'm also a huge believer in being completely honest in the auction but it still amazes me how people read things to suit themselves or just don't read things.

Don't worry about it. You stated your specific terms of transaction it is the buyers responsibility to close the deal and secure the item.

If they wanted the item they would have paid and collected or made a firm commitment regarding payment and collection.

Take a look at any real time auctioneers t&c's to see what is considered fair practice.

Just my two Penney worth.

J2J

I think anything once advertised on ebay should run it's course. For the seller it means you get the best price (ish) and you don't end up with negative feedback from people who have actually "won" the item until you pulled it.

Whenever I get an offer like that I just tell them to bid that amount on the item and take their chance just like everyone else. They are trying to circumvent the system in the belief they will get a better deal that way so as the seller you really have nothing to gain by getting involved with them.

I don't bid on "advertised elsewhere" items because they usually just mean the seller isn't going to set a reserve but if it doesn't reach the value wanted they'll just pull it before it ends.

Slightly different point of view here...

Sell it to whoever is willing to give you money!!! As I speak I currently have a engine and a alternator kit on the 'resolution centre' because of time wasters. My (im)moral opinion....

• If it's on a ebay auction with a buy it now, tell external buyers they will just have to buy through ebay, it's easier
  • If it's on a ebay auction without a buy it now, tell them you will remove it once I see money and charge them the cancellation fee (physical or paypal, cash only for collection mind), I wouldn't worry about the people who have already bid. It's an auction it's not a sure thing anyway.

Might not be ethical, but then ebays protection for sellers is appauling, buyers can buy something then decide they can't be bothered with no penalty.

Just my 2p worth

let it run till the bitter end, otherwise, its not an auction. Its false economy anyway, I always got more in the end than ending early would have given me. Is part of the 'game' that ebay is.

I do recall selling my 206 hdi with fresh mot and tax a while ago. it started at 99 pence, got 150 watchers on day one, 25 requests to end early, and went till the end for £1650, unseen by the buyer. I still cant believe it, I would never have bought it for that!

Daan

If the deal was it's for sale as long as no-one bids on it and it wasn't bought and then someone bid on it you are fine. If he really wants it tell him to get bidding. I find the grey area outside of eBay is best avoided. When I'm selling an item with say a £150 starting price I always like the people that ask if I would take £80 CASH for it, because somehow CASH is so good you only need half as much it would seem. Thanks I'll let it run and take £200 PayPal thanks all the same...

If the deal was it's for sale as long as no-one bids on it and it wasn't bought and then someone bid on it you are fine. If he really wants it tell him to get bidding. I find the grey area outside of eBay is best avoided. When I'm selling an item with say a £150 starting price I always like the people that ask if I would take £80 CASH for it, because somehow CASH is so good you only need half as much it would seem. Thanks I'll let it run and take £200 PayPal thanks all the same...

Lol, cash is as much a hinderance as not nowadays, I do most of my purchasing/bill paying/etc online so if I have a bundle of cash from a sale I have to travel a few miles to pay the stuff in to the bank!

EDIT: knowing some of the scrotes around here they'd probably try and palm off dodgy notes on you anyways