Wear those goggles!

reb78

Just a quick post. I've spent the afternoon at Moorfields eye hospital having a shard of metal removed (scraped actually) out of my cornea!

I had safety specs on whilst I was cutting some metal at the weekend, but a bit flew up in the gap between the specs and my face and got me in the eye. I washed my eyes out, but later noticed a black spot on the cornea over my iris. I was pretty busy Monday and Tuesday and only got to the doctor today. They sent me in to Moorfields. The nurse there said that because I'd left it so long, it had started to rust and so she had to scrape more than normal to remove all of that! Weird sensation having someone scrape your eye with the end of a needle and my eye is a little painful now!

So time to get a better face/eye mask and a warning to all to make sure they wear face protection when grinding! Any suggestions for a decent mask that doesn't mist up?

Had exactly the same thing happen last year, I only spotted it from the rust on my eyeball but luckily the lady at our local walk in centre dug it out with a needle. Worse thing about it was the cream you had to put in your eye for the next week, gave a taste in your mouth that made you feel sick

It does take a few days for the irritation to ease Richard, I sufferred exactly the same a couple of years back, really not a pleasant experience!

Take it easy a few days and yes, get the best eye protection you can buy! You only have one set, make them last.

I've took my eyesight for granted in the past working under the land rover, using power tools etc. Occasionally wearing the mask of I could be bothered.

But ever since I started to have problems with me eyesight (not related) I never once do anything with power tools without putting on the correct PPE.

Valuable lesson learnt, glad it hasn't caused you any serious or permanent damage.

Another been there and done that...even with safety glasses on. I have had it a couple of times.

I even use safety goggles rather than glasses now. What now gets me is the bits that fall onto your face from your head after taking the glasses off. So I always wear a hat when grinding or cuting to try to prevent that too. I then take the hat of before the goggles.

Had it twice or three times, not pleasant, but no lasting effects, normally the pain became too much around 1am, where the metal was scratching the inside of the eyelid.

Yes, each time I was using goggle, I now use some very nice, soft, close fitting goggles, and no more problems for years. The other big thing I found was to look directly with your head at what you are grinding, that way bits won't escape round the edge of the goggles.

Could you share a link to those goggles Bowie ?

Topically I ended up in hospital a few weeks ago with my eyes. Something had got in one and caused some sort of bacterial infection. I went from fine on Friday evening to not being able to see anything out of one eye by Sunday.

All fixed now - but it made me think I better make more effort to look after them. I'll miss them when they are gone!

Sounds nasty men. Feeling like I've been lucky to avoid it, touch wood.

Could be urban legend but they say folks who've done metalwork for years can't have MRI's because there can be tiny metal fragments lodged in their eyes.

Ear goggles too folks, who wants tinnitus or worse. Personally I find working with my hands relaxing so blocking out tool noise is just nice.

These are what I use now:

http://www.greenham.com/Greenham/Personal-Protective-Equipment/Eye-%26-Face-Protection/Vented-Goggles/Honeywell-V-Maxx-Anti-Mist-Safety-Goggles/p/256503

They fit my head very nicely, and have great peripheral vision, which is more handy than you realise, especially when under a vehicle.

Could be urban legend but they say folks who've done metalwork for years can't have MRI's because there can be tiny metal fragments lodged in their eyes.

I had an MRI last year, on the form you have to fill out beforehand they specifically ask if you do any metalwork. I wrote down yes, occasionally, and had to have a head X-ray first just to be sure (they found nothing).

• Like 1

One of my mates some years ago lost the sight in one eye through grinding without any protection. It went through the lens and did some damage.

Since then I wear a full mask, and provide them for my lads and any contractors on site.

Also agree headgear is good idea.

The PUWER regs do not affect the public but in industry the HSE do not take prisoners.

It's often the silly stuff that catches you out, I was changing a light switch in the garage and chiselled out a bit of brick, no eye protection. Tiny bit flicked up in my face, like really small, didn't think much of it.

2 days later and I noticed a circle on my, the brick was dirty, scratched the eye and then got a good infection going. Thing is, apparently these corneal ulcers can breach the eye, pop it and then you lose it, no saving..

I pooped myself googling what it was and got down to the hospital to get it sorted, but yea, the idea of losing an eye is a real bum trembler. I wear eye protection most times now, in fact full face shield for some things (saw a bad picture of a shattered grinder disk that had opened a dudes face up but good!).

They are cheap enough, the tip I have is buy more than one pair:

- shed

- garage

- car

That way you have a chance of putting your hands on a pair in a few moments and won't skip it.

Been there done that, had the scrap metal removed. The trouble I have with goggles is that 1, the buggers mist up something horrible and 2 finding a pair that lets me wear my specs.... Full face masks are generally too bulky when working in confined space and the see through bit rapidly becomes scratched to buggery and gives some really weird reflections in low light conditions. Still prefer a full mask tho.

Pain in the face that they are, if I'm grinding I wear a proper 3M half face respirator with dust pads on. If you've ever had a horrible lump of congealed carp fall back down your throat from your nose, or just blown your nose after grinding for a prolonged period you'll know what I'm talking about. The carp that you inhale without noticing is dire.

As a teen I was typically blassé about this kind of thing, but as I get older (and heal slower) I've realised just what good sense it is to look after yourself.

Anyway the upshot is that with the mask the glasses/goggles don't fog. And btw I have a trio of eye protection depending on the job. The full face brush cutters masks are cheap and brilliant and I use that the most, the laboratory/engineer's hard plastic glasses are great for the less dangerous on the bench jobs or using a mop head, and I basically hate the soft rubbery goggles, who doesn't but they're good for total eye protection with small physical size.

Yup. I'm a member of the eye scraping club as well. In fact I would have needed it again last year had it not been for the metal embedding itself into my soft contact lense rather than my eye! Quick change of lenses and I was good as new.. :)

Had exactly the same thing happen last year, I only spotted it from the rust on my eyeball but luckily the lady at our local walk in centre dug it out with a needle. Worse thing about it was the cream you had to put in your eye for the next week, gave a taste in your mouth that made you feel sick

i had exactly this. but i left it in there 3 days. :blush: even with specs i always get metal in my eyes. (almost daily) and of which have discovered a fantastic way of avoiding the 5 hour long wait in A&E and a further 2 hour wait in the eye clininc! wet cotton wool bud always gets it out! :i-m_so_happy:

Wow, amazed how common that is...

I've had the exhaust carbon deposit in the eye and wow did that burn all weekend + next week .... suspect it was the sulphur that turned acidic. Never saw a quack and I can still see the moon and that 240,000 miles away :blink:

Seriously use the damn PPE + get stuff that protects you from whatever you're doing (shards boucing off stuff and ricocheting into somewhere where they shouldn't go).

Hot slag in the boot on nylon socks is a good one for rapid boot removal...

I'm surprised too by the number of us who have experienced this! Hopefully this just serves as a timely reminder to everyone to look after their eyes!

I;ve bought some goggles and a facemask now for these types of jobs, so lesson learnt.

The eye is fine - little painful in the evenings but will be fine by the weekend. Its the scratch on the conjunctiva that is most irritating now.

I got a blob of acid etch primer in my eye the other day, I was on my back under the car, reached backward above my head to paint a bit and as I tilted my head my specs slid back up toward my hairline. Perfect timing, as the brush came past my face a drop went straight in my eye. It burned to say the least! 10mins of being water boarded by my wife got it out and all OK now.