Serious Battery Recommendations !

My 2 x RR Spec batteries have started to die.

1 x RR battery isn't really enough for the engine (5.2 Full race JED V8).

It needs a bucket of Power to start it, then it has twin 40 amp spals and other electrics.

So, I need to change , rather than go for 2 x batteries, I would like to go for 1 x Monster bit of kit.

Bear in mind the engine is both 5.2 AND High compression, even 1 x Optima Red Top struggles !

Recommendations of really high quality seriously beefy batteries !

(Thank gawd 2 of the 3 winches are all Hydro !) :rofl:

Nige

Hi, I can not help with this (sorry).

but I have seen an old comment of yours about the lt95 pto. I think I have one and was hoping you may be able to help me with a way of knowing. There is so little info online that an old comment of yours was one of the first search results. 

thanks, Ed.

Try Cat 12v 8D batteries I once had a second hand one from work powered a 2000w inverter with no problems loads of power but physical size is massive 20" x 1 1" x 9 .5" high also very heavy we are talking +120kg have been contemplating another one to power both my winches regards Stephen

Edited by Stellaghost
Addition

I once used a battery off a FLT with the right dimensions on my S3 Safari diesel with electric winch. It was much taller than standard but still fitted within the battery tray and had much greater capacity. Better than opting for a split charge at the time.

2 hours ago, Ed stanford said:

Hi, I can not help with this (sorry).

but I have seen an old comment of yours about the lt95 pto. I think I have one and was hoping you may be able to help me with a way of knowing. There is so little info online that an old comment of yours was one of the first search results. 

thanks, Ed.

Here you go 

1347034218_LT95HYDPTO.thumb.JPG.440d2e36cae82a1161597fbc328a4f0e.JPG

cheers

Steve b

• Thanks 1

Two batteries wired in parallel will give you double the CCA of a single one. Most big trucks have at least four batteries wired in series parallel to increase the ampage. Optimas are pretty carp really considering what they cost. 

Wire a pair of 072s in parallel and you’ll be better off. Mine are just Halfords ones and nothing special - they don’t need to be. Just pick up a reasonable quality pair from your local factors. As I say the key is wiring them in parallel. You do not want split charge or anything like that - just permanently hard wire together.

ive run this set up for many years with electric winches etc, and don’t forget Diesel engines are significantly higher compression than your v8 is!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jon White said:

Two batteries wired in parallel will give you double the CCA of a single one. Most big trucks have at least four batteries wired in series parallel to increase the ampage. Optimas are pretty carp really considering what they cost. 

Wire a pair of 072s in parallel and you’ll be better off. Mine are just Halfords ones and nothing special - they don’t need to be. Just pick up a reasonable quality pair from your local factors. As I say the key is wiring them in parallel. You do not want split charge or anything like that - just permanently hard wire together.

ive run this set up for many years with electric winches etc, and don’t forget Diesel engines are significantly higher compression than your v8 is!

Solid advice 👆

Gluv🇬🇧

If you just need CCA then as Jon says two batteries in parallel will do it, but I can't believe your 5.2 is harder to start than a diesel so I'd check your starter wiring / earths etc... I second the vote to just get a single decent battery (Optimas are poor these days from what I've heard) and stop lugging round extra weight for no reason.

Once the engine is running it doesn't matter about your electric fans etc. because the alternator is doing the work, all the time the engine is running the battery should be charging up, not powering things.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jon White said:

Jon,

You know what I am like with electrics !

is there a differece between

2 x 500 CCA 50AH batteries joined up

vs

1 x 1000 CCA 100 AH  ??

Yes...I am that stupid :rofl::)

17 hours ago, Hybrid_From_Hell said:

Recommendations of really high quality seriously beefy batteries !

Absolutely not what you need, but if you want a really high quality, seriously beefy battery, then look at the Hawker Armasafe? Should satisfy the urge for the next ultimate upgrade...

• Like 1

Ah ha ..

Mr White is right :)

logic is .

A massively expensive say oddessy battery at £400 mighyvgive 100 AH AND 1200 ish cca.

Where as withbjjs advise I have bought 2 x 072 batteries (chrosg do the powers and specifications vary !) which when linked together gives me 150 Ah and 1300 Cca for 129 delivered. 

Some.072s are cheap ....some big bucks a la this 

https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/product/north-star-nsb-agm-34-78-uk-part-code-072/.

I bought 2 x 

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/enduroline/072/

Not too far behind but bargin price 4 yrs warranty and with me next course of days .

love this forum :)

On 8/30/2020 at 10:28 PM, elbekko said:

If you've got money to burn you could give one of the Li-Ions a go.

Or one of those jet starter APUs :ph34r:

The problem is that the electrolyte in lithium batteries is very temperature sensitive, and charging those batteries below 1-2oC destroys them.  They’re only good for climates that never freeze, in which case they’re excellent but costly.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that batteries have risen in cost significantly over the past couple of years? 

The last battery I got for my 110 was from Mole Valley Farmers and still has the price tag on it from a few years ago of £78 (ex Vat). I looked the other day out of curiosity in both mole Valley and Halfrauds because of this thread and was shocked to see the equivalent of what I have at £119 ex Vat!! What's going on? I'm not trying to buy cocaine as Father Ted would say! 

At a guess, battery materials are in higher demand due to the electric car boom among other factors like an explosion in the use of laptops?

I need to decide on a single battery or double with split charge very soon. I will have a winch for extremely occasional use, but when it is needed it has to work. I was told by those in the challenge scene 10 years ago that dual batteries were essential as the alternator wouldn't supply all of the required grunt. Having gone up to a 100amp alternator I don't know if the same is still true.

I do like the backup of a thought-out dual system where you know at least one battery will start the car, I just don't know if that's enough of a justification where a big single would probably do.

Not to derail Nige's topic.

44 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

At a guess, battery materials are in higher demand due to the electric car boom among other factors like an explosion in the use of laptops?

Lead is not used in any of the modern hybrid/full electric vehicles, in fact some combustion engined vehicles are now going with Lithium-ion batteries to save weight.

45 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

I was told by those in the challenge scene 10 years ago that dual batteries were essential as the alternator wouldn't supply all of the required grunt. Having gone up to a 100amp alternator I don't know if the same is still true.

In the challenge scene, yes, where they run two Bow3 motors capable of pulling 1000A, yes, you *NEED* twin batteries. On a vehicle with a single winch, for occasional use, one battery will be fine. Even a 9000lb winch can draw up to 300A when fully loaded, so no alternator will keep up, so that is a bit of a red herring.

47 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

I do like the backup of a thought-out dual system where you know at least one battery will start the car, I just don't know if that's enough of a justification where a big single would probably do.

You can do this with a single 200A relay, and a push button switch.