Why would an Allisport oil separator tank come in a Britpart box

Cornish Rattler

That said, I'm assuming that this device does not include the valve in the stock one.  Seems to be a downgrade without the valve.

The description is quite misleading.  There is no gauze or filter in the stock breather. It is built and designed by Mann-Hummel.  I might suggest they know a bit more about designing oil separators than Alisport....

Edited by Red90
  • Like 1

My regular supplier usually ships in a big Brittpart box, though it's very rare anything inside is actually Brittpart (I make sure of that, unless there is no reasonable alternative). As above, I think it's just reusing the boxes, which I do as well. The Brittpart boxes I use to gather old paper and cardboard, never for selling on parts.

On 10/16/2020 at 1:11 PM, Eightpot said:

Maybe just reusing old cartons - I keep all the boxes I get deliveries in and reuse them , save the planet n all that 😇

I shed or burn anything that comes in a resused Britpart box, just in case it infects anything in my workshop

Britpart-19 can be deadly Dontcha Know :rofl:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, oneandtwo said:

Plenty of good stuff comes in britpart boxes. My Bowler alloys (DA1346), and steering guard (DA1367) came in Britpart boxes, and there’s nothing dreadful / awful about them!

2 things in a whole product range isnt bad going. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Once Britpart get involved, the product manufacture gets outsourced away from the originator’s original manufacturer to a cheaper outfit of vastly inferior quality in China or India.  Whether the originators continue to get their own stock from their own manufacturer I don’t know, but I doubt it - I’d imagine they lose control of the product and became a vendor like any other Britpart stockist.  I would be very surprised if the quality of the products manufactured under Britpart are anywhere close to original Bowler quality.

Glad to Britpart bashing is alive and well on this site. I thought it gone down hill without it!!

In truth I bought a plastic coolant manifold for a D3 from BP and it lasted 3 months before the weak screws and flanges leaked then 6 months before the body becoming completely porous!

It's interesting how belief colours the evidence, there a a few good BP parts (OEM or decent manufactures)as above and the my part I mention here was bought from a company who have a dedicated following on a forum who will see no ill of the company, yet I have had to get refunds for a number of parts from them that are not fit for use.

I don't think all their stuff is junk, far from it, but it's like buying a lottery ticket every time that I can't be doing with - will the wheel bearing in the blue box be a GKN one that lasts 10 years or will it be a Chinese one that fails next week?

Given that the time & hassle involved in most repairs greatly out-strips the price of even good quality parts I just can't see the point in taking the gamble - if you have to do the job twice the saving is wiped out.

I bought the britpart swivel housing repair kit the other week and have ditched all the bearings as they were the rattliest, flimsiest things I've ever seen. Some britpart stuff you'll happily take a chance on but its a rarity.

I do tend to think a lot of the legends of Britpart unreliability are simply based on urban legend, with the user demands for low cost being the main reason for dodgy build quality on some items. 

Britpart haven't backed away from their sponsorship support, despite Covid. That works for me; added to their two year warranty period.  Yes I do avoid some of their stuff, but the same goes for Bearmach. Both companies use Double S exhausts to build their sub standard rear exhaust sections for 200/300 vehicles....

47 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

I do tend to think a lot of the legends of Britpart unreliability are simply based on urban legend.

There are some parts with truely dreadful quality control - but others that are fantastic!

In recent years they have re-sold parts from a number of SME's.  I think their intention is genuine, both to make money but also to assist the SME's reach a bigger market.  I've known Paul Myers, their MD for a long time - and IMHO he's a decent guy.

The problem is there are a lot of LR owners who just don't have the money to pay main dealer prices for parts - and will accept a shorter life or having to fiddle with it to make it fit.  I guess having more time than money.  There is a market for parts of lower quality and cost - and I don't begrudge andy of the suppliers for meeting it.

It only really goes wrong when you get your truck fixed by an independent garage, pay main dealer prices for parts and get poor quality ones.  The last one to try that on me found themselves replacing the parts at their own cost.

I've bought loads of Britpart (and Bearmach & Allmakes) and the majority of them were very good.  It's just the odd duff one that you tend to remember and post about on line.  Thus, a quick search tends to yield more of the problem than good experiences.

Si

• Like 3

On 10/19/2020 at 8:31 AM, Snagger said:

Once Britpart get involved, the product manufacture gets outsourced away from the originator’s original manufacturer to a cheaper outfit of vastly inferior quality in China or India.  Whether the originators continue to get their own stock from their own manufacturer I don’t know, but I doubt it - I’d imagine they lose control of the product and became a vendor like any other Britpart stockist.  I would be very surprised if the quality of the products manufactured under Britpart are anywhere close to original Bowler quality.

Having been one of them, for me at least, this was not the case!

• Like 2

With BP, its the lottery as Fridge says and then the painful process to get anything back when the part goes wrong. Britpart have never been interested and the re-sellers can be awkward at times so the 2 year warranty is a waste of the paper it is written on. There's no compensation for time spent fitting either. As a result its easier not to play their game unless you know for sure that you are getting something with a decent brand (i.e. we know they re-sell adwest steering boxes so there shouldnt be any nasty surprises there!)

You must deal with bad retailers.  The problem is not at the BP end.  Here on the other side of the world we buy direct from BP and BM.  BP is great for warranty and provides replacements fast and without any issues.  BM on the other hand is difficult to deal with on warranty claims.

We don't see much variation on aftermarket parts quality based on the wholesaler.  They are all hit and miss.  Most things they supply with OEM options and usually those are okay.

• Like 2