Vapour 101 camper

miketomcat

The biggest benefit of the Defender though I find is the ability to fix all those issues and turn it into what you want. The thing I lack at the moment is the power and slower speeds but once I get a few other projects out of the way I'll get around to dropping V8 in. Hopefully add aircon at the same time and cruise control.

Will see what the noise levels are like after that.

• Like 2

Like Fridge, I found the original flat vinyl seats of my 109 uncomfortable on long drives, but with standard Defender (pre-2007), I never had any issues, even driving nine hours a day.  Noise levels can be a little high on motorways, but that can be dealt with easily enough.  They’re not luxurious, but all these complaints about Series and Defender vehicles being so uncomfortable are pretty ridiculous.  

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, landroversforever said:

On the other hand a good friend chaged to a Merc (can't remember the model).... and was forever having a painful back after even only a 15-20min drive no matter how the seat was adjusted. Can't remember what he switched to now, but it never hurt again after that.  

I had that test driving a BMW 3-series, gave it back after 30 minutes because it was pushing into the side of my back, absolutely terrible.

No such issue in my Merc E.

• Like 1

I've been thinking about a good replacement 4x4 camper since my Range Rover ambulance eventually like most of them by now I guess succumbed to rust - big chunk of the chassis disolved where sand got trapped, sills, A pillars, windscreen frame, top rail, footwells, bulkhead, inner wings all rotted away, wiring loom was a mess etc etc

Been muddling along with 110 & oztent but much prefer the instant mobility of a camper and not having boxes of gear strewn about, and maybe I'm getting a bit old & grumpy for long road trips in a Defender (did loch ness to Birmingham in one hit last week, was grumpy after) Difficult to find such a good all-rounder though:

Rangie was great off road, the longer rear overhang being the only drawback over a Defender/Disco.  More aerodynamic than a 110 so would cruise nicely at 70-75 on long journeys, and the big comfy seats with arm rests were great.  Dimensions only slightly larger than a 110 with roofrack, so could still park it anywhere, drive tight tracks or hide away from prying eyes.  Very spacious in the back - did think about trying to build a new one but the back body is surprisingly intricate with a very clever lightweight space frame arrangement clad with fibreglass skins. 

Can't think of an alternative though and while literally waving an angle grinder over it to dismember and take to the scrapper, in a moment of madness the ambo got a reprieve and now I'm knee deep in another resto 🙄  🙂

20210116_172332(1).jpg

P1020225 (3).jpg

20210116_170404.jpg

20210806_175524.jpg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Eightpot said:

I've been thinking about a good replacement 4x4 camper since my Range Rover ambulance eventually like most of them by now I guess succumbed to rust - big chunk of the chassis disolved where sand got trapped, sills, A pillars, windscreen frame, top rail, footwells, bulkhead, inner wings all rotted away, wiring loom was a mess etc etc

Been muddling along with 110 & oztent but much prefer the instant mobility of a camper and not having boxes of gear strewn about, and maybe I'm getting a bit old & grumpy for long road trips in a Defender (did loch ness to Birmingham in one hit last week, was grumpy after) Difficult to find such a good all-rounder though:

Rangie was great off road, the longer rear overhang being the only drawback over a Defender/Disco.  More aerodynamic than a 110 so would cruise nicely at 70-75 on long journeys, and the big comfy seats with arm rests were great.  Dimensions only slightly larger than a 110 with roofrack, so could still park it anywhere, drive tight tracks or hide away from prying eyes.  Very spacious in the back - did think about trying to build a new one but the back body is surprisingly intricate with a very clever lightweight space frame arrangement clad with fibreglass skins. 

Can't think of an alternative though and while literally waving an angle grinder over it to dismember and take to the scrapper, in a moment of madness the ambo got a reprieve and now I'm knee deep in another resto 🙄  🙂

20210116_172332(1).jpg

P1020225 (3).jpg

20210116_170404.jpg

20210806_175524.jpg

That’s definitely worth saving 👍

• Like 1

23 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I'll 3rd that, 2-doors are definitely worth saving anyway but that's a rare beastie and looks very practical too. I'm not a fan of the colour though :ph34r:

Yeah it was white originally but looked like an ice cream van 😄  and in Africa it was impossible to hide up in the bush, could see it for miles so went for puddle beige!  Really haven't got the time for another project but now I've done most of the steel work I'm glad I didn't chop the old girl up.. 

• Like 2

On 8/2/2021 at 7:38 AM, garrycol said:

You really have no idea what you are talking about - such opinions when you only got to drive one once a few years ago doesn't really count.  Well there are 4 gears or six with overdrive.  It is not hot as hell in the cab and I live in Aust with 40 degree summers - as l;ong as the correct insulation is in place the cab is not hot from the engine but heat can come in from the canvas - cooler than a series 3.  Not as noisy as a series 3.  Maybe the vehicle you drive did not have good shocks and the handling is quite good - certainly as good as a Series 3 - brakes are the same as a Series 3 and work fine if adjusted correctly.

101as.jpg.6b01e3ffc53d0d6c78365567dc90baee.jpg101b.jpg.38d01cdf6ee9993fc4458fa8e141ce15.jpg

Maybe you should get one for a long term view - mine for 13 years and my other drive is a RRS and I love every minute in my 101 on or off road.

What you call exped driving we call everyday driving and the Iveco Daily has one of the worst reputations for reliability and ability in my country - they are not a good vehicle.

The Cummins in a 101 goes fine with an Allison box behind it - has been done here and is a great vehicle.

I think they are horrid, can I borrow yours for a long term test to change my mind? I think it might take a few years..... .

• Haha 1

No I think they mean that price, they used the buzzword "restomod" which I think means we modified it from original but reckon we can charge a bucket load because we used a buzzword for the yuppies.

But it should be a misprint.

Sold to fund eco marine projects,so it was too polluting to use?

They poured money in to it to make it, so it must be worth the asking price if you write a thousand word description which says very little about it.

I'd have to sell the house and still couldn't find that. That price will be based on what it cost them not what it's worth. You see this time and again people who think what it cost them is what it's worth. It will be for sale for a long time until they realise what it's worth is what someone is willing to pay not what it cost. Good luck to them if they find a sucker willing to pay that........

Mike

3 hours ago, landroversforever said:

And all that money spent and they stuck those ungainly actuators on for the roof :lol: 

Yep  they're not exactly elegant engineering are they :lol:

Also I'd love to see the demonstration of lifting the spare wheel off the back door - lifting a 37 in the back of the 109 is enough to have the osteopath on speed-dial, never mind right up onto that carrier thing!

10 hours ago, landroversforever said:

And all that money spent and they stuck those ungainly actuators on for the roof :lol: 

I just noticed them, wtf is that all about??

Having owned 2 different 270 degree awnings...I like the fact their one actually folds out to 270 and not 260 which both mine do and leave a gap at the rear of the truck 🤬

On 8/14/2021 at 1:28 PM, landroversforever said:

Do yours not pull round tight to tension it? 

Yup and I'm not a small bloke when it comes to pulling things :D

I reckon my truck isn't square but the tuff trek on that falls just short of the rear by about 75mm and on the trailer it's about 50mm for the Howling Moon hobby

The tuff trek does have a velcro strip which I assume is used to attach something from the rear of the truck to make it bridge the gap but any questions to TT are met with a :blink:...

On 8/2/2021 at 7:38 AM, garrycol said:

You really have no idea what you are talking about - such opinions when you only got to drive one once a few years ago doesn't really count.  Well there are 4 gears or six with overdrive.  It is not hot as hell in the cab and I live in Aust with 40 degree summers - as l;ong as the correct insulation is in place the cab is not hot from the engine but heat can come in from the canvas - cooler than a series 3.  Not as noisy as a series 3.  Maybe the vehicle you drive did not have good shocks and the handling is quite good - certainly as good as a Series 3 - brakes are the same as a Series 3 and work fine if adjusted correctly.

101as.jpg.6b01e3ffc53d0d6c78365567dc90baee.jpg101b.jpg.38d01cdf6ee9993fc4458fa8e141ce15.jpg

Maybe you should get one for a long term view - mine for 13 years and my other drive is a RRS and I love every minute in my 101 on or off road.

What you call exped driving we call everyday driving and the Iveco Daily has one of the worst reputations for reliability and ability in my country - they are not a good vehicle.

The Cummins in a 101 goes fine with an Allison box behind it - has been done here and is a great vehicle.

There's always one. Social media breeds them. Reminds me of my brother. He was always "I'm right, even when the rest of the world say different". One of my friends collects Messerschmidt 3 wheelers. He commutes in one, travels to Southern Germany twice a year in one, drives one most days. Reckons they are the ultimate form of transport and denies there are any issues that might argue otherwise. You are the same....but it's your choice. Just don't ever tell me I don't know what I am talking about. No denying Aus is a big place, but it's nothing compared to Russia and the Aus climate is easy. 

And don't get me started on the boat anchor that is the Cummins

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

I came across this, 'special' is the first thing that springs to mind. Not sure if the 3rd axle is needed/worth it, seems like a lot of added complexity, especially if you want it driven and with good articulation.

A33A66F8-56F0-4319-85CC-7C851FAC0072.jpeg

It was posted on The Lotus Forums, as the ideal second car because it could serve as a somewhat practical car, as well as living quarters and take the Lotus to the track. 😎

• Like 1