E10 petrol

Simon_CSK

On 9/28/2021 at 10:37 AM, Bowie69 said:

Yep... and a few others, for all my local driving I can't really see a downside. 3 hour charge, 43 mile range, and small enough to sneak through when parents are driving their colossalwagons to pick up the kids.

I honestly think that's a great use-case for a small short-range EV, and at least it's not boring to look at. Proper Citroens are supposed to be a bit mad anyway.

Friend of mine has an old G-Wiz (lead acid powered!) that he commutes into the city in, does very low miles, it's tiny so it nips in and out of places and costs him almost nothing to buy or run - leaves more money for the land rovers!

If I had the pennies (and anywhere at all to charge it) I'd seriously consider the Honda E as a commuter, they're a cool design and plenty enough for short commutes. If I need to go to Ikea I can always take the 127.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, reb78 said:

So, to join all the crazies, I got up at 0545 and went to Tesco. Still a queue but it moved quite quickly, but now I have a full tank. Bloody ridiculous!

Apparently, our local Asda (24 hour) has loads of fuel, but at the moment only opens the forecourt from midnight to 7 am, because the queue/congestion blocks food shoppers getting in and also causes chaos in the town.

3 hours ago, smallfry said:

Apparently, our local Asda (24 hour) has loads of fuel, but at the moment only opens the forecourt from midnight to 7 am, because the queue/congestion blocks food shoppers getting in and also causes chaos in the town.

Yep - Basingstoke Morrisons and Sainsburys are suffering the same, you can't get near the shop because of the queue for fuel :rolleyes:

When all this kicked off a mate of mine got stuck in Asda's car park for 2 hours because the queue wouldn't let him out :ph34r:

7 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Yep - Basingstoke Morrisons and Sainsburys are suffering the same, you can't get near the shop because of the queue for fuel :rolleyes:

When all this kicked off a mate of mine got stuck in Asda's car park for 2 hours because the queue wouldn't let him out :ph34r:

Same here in Abingdon yesterday.... tesco road at least partially blocked by the queue back to the roundabout from the Esso.

On 9/28/2021 at 6:37 PM, mad_pete said:

If the press would like to instil some fear in climate change something that is a real problem that we need to act on to make it not a problem then great. Starting 10 years ago would have been a great idea. The climate is already changed now and we have to hope it’s only bad not catastrophic longer term.

As for creating problems out of something that is not a problem that I could do with the press not doing.  Very select pictures of empty shelves and large petrol queues not helpful.

I hope the international news is reporting this for the silliness it is:

Uk rocked by country wide panic buying to the point there are concerns for ambulances with after one petrol station in east London gets its delivery moved to next week……

“Are you getting an EV?”

“no I get range anxiety “

“hold my water bottle……”

The climate has never stood still.  As for the cause of the apparent recent changes, NASA and ESA have been keen to show how the other planets in the system have had more storms and of greater magnitude than previously observed, but then keep it quiet when talking about Earth’s climate change.  Funny, that.

Yes. Solar activity is down played.

Still. Hydrocarbons are too useful as chemicals to be wasted on energy production (or stupid plastic toys) if there are viable alternatives.

All for cleaner alternatives, especially when it comes to (especially inner city) air quality -but as far as Boris and the entire COP26 they can all go take a running jump.... and that's not even mentioning Greta, who today has now somehow managed to conflate intra-species diseases(i.e. COVID) and climate change in an effort to garner yet more alarmist press coverage (see other comments on the press being the central cause of the fuel crisis).

Fusion or thorium fuelled nuclear reactors are where it will be for the foreseeable, IMHO. Would love to think that proper geothermal was possible, but no-one seems to want to really bite that bullet.

• Like 1

I know this wasn't intended as a "fuel crisis" thread, but I'm based in Swindon and the Disco had had its fuel warning light one for about a week.  Not a major issue, I don't commute, but I decided to go fill up anyway.

My nearest Asda petrol station was busy, but had no queues, so I pulled in to fill up.  "£30 max" sign on the pump!  Had to take £30 worth, pay, drive out the "out" and in the "in" and do it again, twice!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SPendrey said:

My nearest Asda petrol station was busy, but had no queues, so I pulled in to fill up.  "£30 max" sign on the pump!  Had to take £30 worth, pay, drive out the "out" and in the "in" and do it again, twice!

Well, I figured they would work that one out, my local Asda is similarly limited to £30, I got £30, went out to actually do my shopping in Aldi round the corner, then decided to go back to the fuel station to see if it would let me get another £30 -nope, apparently I was 'unauthorised'.

Seems ever so slightly big brother-ish.

12 minutes ago, missingsid said:

What happened to the key worker priority?

Chappy from the emergency response committee was on Radio 4 the other morning (committee set up after the tanker driver strike in 2000's) and he said they ended up "prioritising" about 1/3rd of the population - as even if nurses etc. can get fuel, if the teachers can't then the kids have to stay at home and then lots of the nurses can't come to work anyway even if they've got a full tank...

He also b*ll*cked the media for stirring it up in the first place :lol:

• Like 3

8 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Chappy from the emergency response committee was on Radio 4 the other morning (committee set up after the tanker driver strike in 2000's) and he said they ended up "prioritising" about 1/3rd of the population - as even if nurses etc. can get fuel, if the teachers can't then the kids have to stay at home and then lots of the nurses can't come to work anyway even if they've got a full tank...

Oh luckily she uses a small car where £40 at normal prices will fill the tank, so £30 will do. I looks like I will be out a Midnight tonight then for Asda.

13 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I heard that interview as well, it highlights how incredibly complex and interconnected this and other issues or crises usually are. What appears to be a straightforward solution potentially impacts in areas removed from the initial problem which in turn creates seemingly ad infinitum issues elsewhere.  

• Like 2

At least there is plenty of fuel, we just can't get at it - I know not a huge help. But gas and elec - the prices of that will wipe  the smile off the EV drivers faces. Elec has gone over £4000/MWh wholesale  on occasion. So to put it another way £4 a unit. Admittedly that is a peak, but I can imagine some of the factories will be firing up their diesel backup as the price cap doesn't apply to them. The price is because of the gas shortage. Some of the numbers that we are told for the wind contribution and gas contribution to the grid seem at odds with what you can see them actually doing on Gridwatch.