Where did you get yours from

Stellaghost

23 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Because my amp was the size of...

For some reason I always thought your name would be an entirely random selection (and possibly deliberately so!)

Who knew hey ! 

Lots of interesting stories here, I had so many of them wrong ….

So ..

@Stellaghost I thought was an abbreviation of ‘Stellar Ghost’ - because you ghost into the workshop and do a stellar amount of work. 🤷 

@Bowie69 I thought of Bowie knives and that you were born in ‘69. Both things that seem very cool to me - thus I always had you down as a ‘dude’.

@jeremy996 I thought you had a Ducati….

@pat_pending it took me years to get the joke, so to start with I thought you were just called Pat 🤦🏻 

@Ed Poore I had down as a spy .. or Walter Mitty.   (It’s a joke Ed!) 

@ThreePointFive it even took me ages to figure out this was the size of the RV8 …. I just thought you were probably the first honest man on the planet …..

• Haha 3

On 10/20/2023 at 10:46 PM, ballcock said:

Mine is my old CB handle, plumber by trade, An old friend suggested after I got married that my son should be Drain cock and the then wife Stop cock.

If you get yourself a bit on the side she'd be a blow off cock.... Which is actually a part on a steam locomotive.

• Haha 1

I got the name months before I heard it.  I was an instructor for a large flying school that (like most) didn’t maintain its aircraft properly.  I was the only instructor there who had not come directly from club flying and had seen higher standards, so had the distinction of being the only one to correctly report defects in the tech logs, aka snagging.  I got dragged into the director’s office about it a few times, with threats of being fired and escalating to threats of contacting all the airlines to destroy my nascent career, while I in return threatened to go to the local rags wherever the group had a school, to the main media, Panorama and Dispatches tv programmes, the CAA and the insurance company they were defrauding (I kept evidence).  The final conflict ended up with him shouting at me like a petulant head master, so I went outside and immediately grounded the entire fleet and continued to do so every morning for the next fortnight.  A few months later, a student from one of our other schools at Biggin Hill was doing his solo land-away exercise and needed one of us to certify he’d landed safely at Elstree - I signed the form and he responded “Oh, you’re Snagger!”.  Apparently, word of the big row and my response to it got around the whole company pretty fast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/20/2023 at 1:14 PM, vulcan bomber said:

Mine just comes from something im very passionate about. Im into just about everything that could be a big boys toys, aircraft being the top of the list, and the Vulcan beiong the top of my list of favourte aircraft.

My wife is fond of the Vulcan too.  One of her birthday presents was a membership to the Vulcan to the Sky trust with her name on a plaque in the bomb bay of XH668.  Vulcan 607 is a superb account of the Black Buck missions.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Snagger said:

My wife is fond of the Vulcan too.  One of her birthday presents was a membership to the Vulcan to the Sky trust with her name on a plaque in the bomb bay of XH668.  Vulcan 607 is a superb account of the Black Buck missions.

Without filling this thread with dross, the Vulcan as a technical exercise is mind bending when you get into the nitty gritty of it. It was a huge leap at a time when we led the world by a very long way. I have a small involvement keeping XM655 and XL426 in running condition, but nothing like what I would like to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, vulcan bomber said:

Without filling this thread with dross

I think that's what the thread is for...

Also, some say the Victor was the more advanced, more useful of the V fleet which is why it stayed in service much longer. Not me though, I'd never say that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

I think that's what the thread is for...

Also, some say the Victor was the more advanced, more useful of the V fleet which is why it stayed in service much longer. Not me though, I'd never say that.

On paper the Victor was the better aircraft for the original intended mission, was faster, went further and was cleared to carry more. The Victor however started to fall apart when they were tasked to low level missions, somewhere the Vulcan was well at home. Indeed, at the time they did it, the Victor was the biggest thing to break the sound barrier and remain in control.... The Victor went on to become a very successful Tanker aircraft, where it stayed in service almost 10 years after the Vulcan was Retired fro nfront line duty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No exciting back story from me sadly - surname is Bishop, often contracted to Bish which leads to Bish-bash-bosh and ultimately Bishbosh.

Also often referred to as that bloke who gets stuck a lot... often because I have tried a line others were not willing / too sensible to attempt but equally often because I have the off road driving prowess of a damp flannel.

That said, I haven't got stuck in over 10 years.......

• Like 2

I think I joined the forum when I was the proud owner of a very knackered D1 200TDI field car. 

How many of those do you see on the road these days? 

There is another Discomikey or close variant of on I believe one of the other forums too. 

Interestingly (or rather boringly) I have never been referred to as Mikey in real life. IT's always been Michael, or Mike.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2023 at 9:08 PM, smallfry said:

Nickname since first day at Secondary School. Being the youngest and smallest in the class. 

Got me into a lot of trouble though. Became target for bullies and I developed "Little Man Syndrome".

I can empathise a little.  When I turned 16, there was nobody else in the class under 17.  There were always jokes about that in high school, including the nickname "Foetus".  That nickname also referred to my enjoyment of playing the game "fives" with my feet as much as my hands (does anybody even remember that game?).  Fortunately, though, I was very tall and the toughest bloke at school had my back, so there was very little bullying.

• Like 1

23 years ago, I joined a forum (that I still admin) called Off Roaders Rant Page. I was writing for a couple of magazines at the time, neither of whom wanted to be associated with ORRP, as it was known. So I chose the name Nonimouse as a play on Anonymous 

On here I have been David Lovejoy (kicked off by the management), Honiton Hobbit{because I lived near honiton and have hairy toes} (forgot my password) and now Nonimouse

1 hour ago, Nonimouse said:

23 years ago, I joined a forum (that I still admin) called Off Roaders Rant Page. I was writing for a couple of magazines at the time, neither of whom wanted to be associated with ORRP, as it was known. So I chose the name Nonimouse as a play on Anonymous 

On here I have been David Lovejoy (kicked off by the management), Honiton Hobbit{because I lived near honiton and have hairy toes} (forgot my password) and now Nonimouse

Well I got that totally wrong...

always figured you had something to do with pest control.......

Regards Stephen

• Haha 1