A different take on the restomod hipster Defender

Have to say, coolnvintage do nice builds and nice photographing, but the cars are nothing particularly special: from what I saw, they all have the original engine and gearbox, just changed springs, shocks and wheels (I am not a fan of the black wolf wheels with wheel spacers, but I am probably alone in this), and up cycled the interior.

They have a nice finish, but nothing to me that would warrant the 6 figure price on them.

Daan

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Snagger said:

I’m one of those boring “underside should be black or body coloured” types!

Me too usually.. although a close 2nd would be to galv it, paint it black, then apply the spray-on fake rust the rat-rod boys use to add authenticity :lol:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Me too usually.. although a close 2nd would be to galv it, paint it black, then apply the spray-on fake rust the rat-rod boys use to add authenticity :lol:

A good anti theft measure, along with broken door handles and white powdery scabs all over the body!

20 hours ago, Happyoldgit said:

Before I became happy I used to be miserable. Now I am happy that 110 would still make me miserable, why? Products, other than refrigerators and deep freezers, that use the "cool" word for marketing is beyond contempt.

I concur. And whoever thought that chassis was a nice idea wants it folded in half and jammed up their jacksie outrigger-first.

• Haha 1

I think it looks pretty good to be honest and some of their other work displayed in the gallery section is also pretty good.

I would love to see some pictures of the, obviously far better and more imaginative, vehicles put together by those criticising the original subject of this thread

• Like 2

They wouldn't be doing it if clients weren't buying them , just like Kahn and Twisted etc. 

Not my choice for sure , every single LR that I have built has been original paint colour underside so mostly black with an occasional bronze green with early series 1's  .

vive la difference ?  

This body on top of that chassis ....?

563178682_multicoloured109(2).thumb.png.9b552c00a7adeca16e4a3033383b2ef2.png

Steve b

Arjan

It's a Nextbase 420g Professional , from Halfords over here . It's a good picture for a video still , although it does vary a lot with light levels . Into a bright sun or high glare is not so good but lower light around sunset/sunrise does make for great journey stills if I remember to plug it in to the laptop . The card gives around 24 hours of recording iirc .

cheers

Steve b

I really like it. Seen a lot worse perpetrated for a lot more money by people who should know better and offer themselves up as experts in our field. A sensible paint job with a bit of relatively hidden chassis art doesn't hurt at all.

None of these mods have compromised it's ability off road. In the pursuit of a road-friendly status symbol so many of these end up with a silhouette that looks right but has as much of what makes it a Defender as possible sucked out of it. Not here, it seems.

Do I want to do it? No, but I respect it's right to exist.

Edited by ThreePointFive
  • Like 1