Coronavirus

Anderzander

I think for us the problem is self isolation - I am working at home, but we both have enough miles on the clock to be at risk. But if one of us gets it we are suppose to stay put for 14 days. Yet the supermarkets online deliveries are completely overwhelmed. Short of going somewhere isolated and murdering a deer I'm not sure how we can avoid contact

I believe that the main symptoms to look for are fever (high temp) and a persistent dry cough. Not a runny nose and not a sore throat. That's what I think I read and is what we are watching out for. I heard today that the 111 website (don't know the url) has a little 'expert system' into which you can input symptoms and it will tell you the likelihood of it being CV or normal stuff.

The self isolation is really hard for those who should be doing it now (such as my mate who has just come out of hospital after a month of battling with a severe lung infection). His wife is popping out and about still and no doubt increasing chances of bringing it back home.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Happyoldgit said:

...I'd rather my own young not take chances with my health 🤬

Social distancing and cocooning are both fine measures and will make a difference. Hand and facial hygiene are paramount now. Trouble is.... people.

Edited by Shackleton
  • Like 2

People I know and see round here are doing it pretty well, yet in Somerset we only have 2 cases, so :) 

my parents, 3 miles away are in isolation, they are 70, and my brother Paul that lives with them has many complications. So....they voluntarily isolated on Tuesday. No visitors, at all, and certainly not going out. Home delivers have been booked, and 3 freezers full of food, though to be fair that was already there way before this all kicked off!

Pragmatism wash your hands, think of others.

3 hours ago, Gazzar said:

Phony war.

I'd rather get it now, have done with.

You say that now. When you get permanent lung damage, you might think it was not such a good idea.

The reality is that the ENTIRE POINT to isolation is to reduce the rate of spread and limit the load on the health care system.  Overloading of the health care system is the main problem that will lead to excess mortality. If you are not one one that is helping to limit the spread, you are responsible for those deaths.

• Like 2

I do know this, it's part of my day job.

Plus, I'm asthmatic, I know the risks.

Doesn't stop wanting to get it gone, so I can move on. I'm not good at waiting, waiting for the other shoe to fall.

• Like 2

Just as a thought.

The coronavirus affects us all in some way but there are thousands of forums talking about it, some quite passionately and opinions vary from person to person.

Like politics and religion, can we not just keep this little island of the internet coroanvirus free?  :D

• Like 2

I had to tell my employees to work from home earlier in the week. It's all a bit odd imho as to keep money coming in we still need to go out and work (it's a land surveying business) so everyone needs to simultaneously be exposed to the public whilst not exposing themselves to the public. The only other option is to batten down the hatches, not do any work and let the business go pop in 3 momths' time.

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

my parents, 3 miles away are in isolation, they are 70, and my brother Paul that lives with them has many complications. So....they voluntarily isolated on Tuesday. No visitors, at all, and certainly not going out. 

Good to hear that some of the older generation are taking heed others are a bit too institutionalised and go out whether they need too or not because that's what they've always done Myself I'm 57 had asthma for 54 of those years chest not great at the moment anyway If I  was a V8 I'd be on 6 cylinders so I am also taking heed at the moment just waiting to hear back from work as to the way forward in that respect stay safe people it's not worth it for the mild inconvenience  of being isolated on the bright side there is a good chance of catching up on a few jobs regards Stephen 

I, and the rest of the company I am working for, are all able to work from home.

I consider myself *extremely fortunate* we can all do this, and am grateful that I am lucky enough to be in good health.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mo Murphy said:

On the upside we're getting free drinks at Macs and Pret 😆👍

Mo

Oh yes. I might need it before this is out. Nothing like you, Mo, but we're gearing up to support the front line. Might be no mechanicing for a few months...

1 hour ago, paime said:

I had to tell my employees to work from home earlier in the week. It's all a bit odd imho as to keep money coming in we still need to go out and work (it's a land surveying business) so everyone needs to simultaneously be exposed to the public whilst not exposing themselves to the public. The only other option is to batten down the hatches, not do any work and let the business go pop in 3 momths' time.

Be sensible. Hand washing really is the key, it simply washes the virus away before it can get to the nose, eyes and mouth.

Or so say the experts at work

Be safe enough in the open, but maybe a bucket, a bottle of water and a bar of soap could be a field expedient solution?

5 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

Oh yes. I might need it before this is out. Nothing like you, Mo, but we're gearing up to support the front line. Might be no mechanicing for a few months...

You're a vital cog Gary, money makes the NHS go round.

Fare well in your battles 😊

Mo

It's quite amazing. There's a real transformation in attitude. Quite uplifting: keep the sector afloat, sod the paperwork, all hands on the front line. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gazzar said:

It's quite amazing. There's a real transformation in attitude. Quite uplifting: keep the sector afloat, sod the paperwork, all hands on the front line. 

I am most reassured by this, thank you. 

I have a large number of at risk people I am close to, so while I am fine, it may be quite difficult for a lot of them.

1 hour ago, Gazzar said:

What do you do, Gary? 

I'm heartened to hear this too. We need a bit of "blitz spirit" now more than ever. I stopped my travel a couple of weeks ago now, but luckily IT support is one of those things that's entirely possible to do effectively from home. I've been busy setting people up to work from home left, right and centre.

5 hours ago, Peaklander said:

I heard today that the 111 website (don't know the url) has a little 'expert system' into which you can input symptoms and it will tell you the likelihood of it being CV or normal stuff.

We could do with something like that on here.... My defender is cheeping... does it sounds like birds?.... yes... Is it from the engine? ... No....Grease your u/js!!!!   etc 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Anderzander said:

I’ve been told to work from home. It’s all a bit weird.

I’ve been through the process of thinking about whether I visit my mum. She’s old and not in the best of health and will need shopping - but the guidance and the sensible option seems to be keep away, particularly as my little girl is still in school so we are effectively in contact with hundreds of people.

Yet there’s loads of people out there still going to work and mixing quite freely. I guess even if the likelihood is very small the impact for her is potentially huge.

Just communicate by phone and leave shopping in front of the door,should be ok? 

I felt odd today going to work breaking a sweat, so decided to turn around and go home again. I dont have any of the symptoms of the virus though, so probably can do some working from home next week.