Dilemma

Simon_CSK

I have just been offered serious money for my CSK. I have owned it for over 20 years and tbh it is in a very sorry state.

The offer was unseen but seemed genuine and would release a lot of cash. The problem is I would just end up with more cars and in reality have enough projects on the go.

Thoughts please.

Everyone has a price. Write up a list of things you would do if you don't sell it, then a list next to the first of things you'll do if you do sell it and then let it brew for a week or so and see which list seems the best situation to be in

2 minutes ago, monkie said:

Everyone has a price. Write up a list of things you would do if you don't sell it, then a list next to the first of things you'll do if you do sell it and then let it brew for a week or so and see which list seems the best situation to be in

I have never ever thought about selling it. Even my Ex wife and her mother tried to get me to sell it to people who asked "how much for your jeep mate!"

I would then have to change my name here too. It seems just part of me but I would admit the money would be nice.

• Like 1

I haven't got a tomcat any more but the names definitely staying. 

Are you ever going to do anything with the csk or is it just sat there. If you use it keep it, if it's sat there and unlikely to get touched sell it and use the proceeds to finish one or more of the others.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Its a question, isnt it ? Remember the value of investments (not that you bought it for that I suspect) can fall as well as rise.

If its kept indoors and not in the way, and you dont NEED the money, then keep if if you want to, but if its outside, it might as well go while still able.

Are you realistically going to do anything with it ? If you restore it, or pay to have it restored, will you use it ? How long ago did you do anything at all with it ?

If have a similar dilemma with my Rover P5B coupe. It been in my garage for 12 years untouched and buried with stuff. It needs light restoration as its one of those cars that needs to be immaculately turned out, or it looks shabby. In my mind I want to drive it on sunny weekends, but will I ? I dont realistically have the time, and the more I think about it, whats the point in having it ? I couldnt leave it anywhere for fear of theft or vandalism. I find car shows incredibly tedious, so couldnt do that.

And yet, I still keep it for now, in the silly notion that I will miraculously find the time (which I won't) Also knowing that I would never be able to afford another one that good. It is cluttering up my life and it should go ........... Then there is the 90 V8 SW !

So yes, I understand your turmoil, but as I said, if it lives outside

12 hours ago, Simon_CSK said:

I have never ever thought about selling it. Even my Ex wife and her mother tried to get me to sell it to people who asked "how much for your jeep mate!"

I would then have to change my name here too. It seems just part of me but I would admit the money would be nice.

Would that be the reason that she is now your "Ex wife"? 🤔

Sorry, nothing useful to add to your quandary.

Edited by markyboy

I echo the comments above. I had a 1972 2 door Range Rover that was in a pretty poor state although complete and sold it around 10 years ago for what was very good money then. Looking back it would have sat outside for another 10 years and I would not have touched it as so much has happened in that time

My thoughts are that petrol is going to get so expensive over the next 10-15 years, especially if fuel stations start to close with reducing demand, many of these old guzzling classics may lose a lot of value and end up being quaint ornaments in someones man cave or museum. Also we have it pretty soft at the moment on classics, no tax/mot on many, a free hand with modifications etc, no emmisions tests - it would only take one piece of new legislation to render them fairly useless.  If it's a good offer and you haven't had to work for it, worth considering. Also consider the realistic cost to restore it, which is always 4x what you think 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eightpot said:

My thoughts are that petrol is going to get so expensive over the next 10-15 years, especially if fuel stations start to close with reducing demand, many of these old guzzling classics may lose a lot of value and end up being quaint ornaments in someones man cave or museum. Also we have it pretty soft at the moment on classics, no tax/mot on many, a free hand with modifications etc, no emmisions tests - it would only take one piece of new legislation to render them fairly useless.  If it's a good offer and you haven't had to work for it, worth considering. Also consider the realistic cost to restore it, which is always 4x what you think 😄

I hate to say it but even after a 10 year restoration, I would sell mine tomorrow for the right offer because of these reasons.

Bear in mind it's my first car, a labour of love in getting it how I want it and countless hours of work. Logic has to win out eventually.

2 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

I hate to say it but even after a 10 year restoration, I would sell mine tomorrow for the right offer because of these reasons.

Bear in mind it's my first car, a labour of love in getting it how I want it and countless hours of work. Logic has to win out eventually.

I must be far more stubborn than you. Not as attached to any of my other classics or more modern vehicles but I would never sell my 90 that I have owned for 18 years since I was 18 and restored a couple of years ago

Diesel is going to be about for lots of years to come (plant and HGV is not going electric in any big way anytime soon) and I personally live out in the sticks in Suffolk so these congestion charge low emission zones don't concern me, just another good reason not to venture anywhere near London or the other big cities in the Defender

In this case, I'd say 'when in doubt, don't do it!'. If you change your mind in the future, you can still sell it. Price is unlikely to plummet, so unless it's rusting away outside or you could really use the money right now, there's no need to rush. But if you sell it, and have regrets, it will be almost impossible to find another one unless you spend even more.

I do agree with some of the comments above, you need some sort of a plan, no matter how vague or long term and have an idea how you're going to use it when it's back on the road. I know how annoying it can become when you have project cars just sitting there because there is always some other thing seems to take up all of your time. But at the same time it's nice to have some dreams and goals, even if not always realistic.

Filip

• Like 1

If you sell it, you are going to spend the next 10-20 years thinking it would have been this much if I kept it. I am not selling mine as there are too many memories attached with it.

The fact that no one offers me anything for that heap helps too!

Daan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daan said:

I am not selling mine as there are too many memories attached with it.

Second that

Providing its not sudden mine will have a retro-fitted coffin carrier handmade by me to take me on my last journey regards Stephen

• Like 2

8 hours ago, markyboy said:

Would that be the reason that she is now your "Ex wife"? 🤔

No she's my Ex because she is a narcissistic b**ch who thought I needed her more than she needed me. Have had a ball since the divorce even thought she left me penniless. Definitely loved the car more than I loved her. 

3 hours ago, Daan said:

I am not selling mine as there are too many memories attached with it.

Does have some memories. I used it for three years before it was parked up. It was very nice at one stage now it is dissolving slowly.

There is just something about it I truly love, black two door classic with chrome bumpers. If I can get a new shell then it would be done reasonably quickly or maybe a 5 year project but would give me something to tinker with. 

As an investment it would have increased over £1000 in value for every year I have had it. My oldest son is now 20 and I got it before he was born. 

Do I need the money? Don't get me wrong who couldn't use that kind of money but it isn't high on my list of priorities and I know I will be able to sell it later once it is finished, but I will not. 

• Like 1

The way the world is at present who knows what the state of affairs will be in three, six or twelve months. We are facing huge challenges with regards cost of living, energy and potential spread of conflict not far away. The old norms could well be gone forever, or at least for an extended period. An old vehicle that has some financial value now could well be virtually worthless in the not too distant future, alternatively things could settle down, who knows. These are very uncertain times.

• Like 2

Agreed with HoG, personally I would just sell. Cash in the pocket is the only thing guaranteed at the moment. A rotting CSK is only likely to go down from here, I think, classics really have peaked in value in general.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Second that

Providing its not sudden mine will have a retro-fitted coffin carrier handmade by me to take me on my last journey regards Stephen

Cast in 2” plate in your own home made smelting plant?

• Like 1

I'd sell it. I have sold quite a few land rovers and projects, yes at one time or another I've thought I wish I hadn't but then you remember that without selling one I wouldn't have the next, and each one was bit better than the last.

I've about 5 land rovers at the moment and not one is one the road, that is far more depressing than the total 'regret' I have from selling.

If it was in lovely condition and perfectly useable and you did use it I would keep hold but that doesn't sound like the reality and weeks soon turn into years with the roundtoit card.

• Like 1

I'd suggest to sell it.

Cash is always nice to have and you have more projects.

I'm about to start the Ninety and that one, once finished, will be sold.

I have enough LR's and if you don't use them you loose them.