Got snow yet?

T1G UP

Only pulled one, some lad in a Merc Vito that cornered too sharp and got stuck in 5cm of snow without anything in the back. Saw a car sticking in a ditch and stopped, but the person had gone, so did nothing there.

When I see people in trouble and I have the time / am in the mood I do stop to help, although often they claim they don't need help, or my shackle won't fit in that silly screw-on tow point :lol:

Either works, but the main rule is drive 30% slower than all the other idiots on the road and you should be fine. We deal with snow for 4 months of the year and people still do not realize that you can get going fast, you can stay straight, but a gust of wind, or a snowdrift, or catching a wheel in deeper snow/slush and you will be going backwards, then forwards, then backwards again. You're not driving out of a ditch with either, and a Fiesta is a whole lot easier to pull out of a ditch, and a LOT cheaper to replace.

Your 4x4 will give you better traction when moving off and in a straight line.

The 2+ tons of weight will be a BIG hindrance when trying to change direction

and braking.

Your Fiesta may not have 4x4, but that is it's only disadvantage.

In my opinion the best vehicles for snow are standard saloon/ estate cars

with 4x4, even with proper snow tyres I still drive like I have rotten eggs under

the pedals.

2.5tons of RR loosing traction is not fun at all. Been there done that. :(

Daughter's boyfriend lost his '03 Fiesta on ice before Christmas and hit kerb. £400 for new tyre, steering rack, etc.

So after berating him for being young and foolish "you youngsters don't know how to drive in snow, blah, blah, pontificate" I gave him lift to work next day.

And hit same kerb.

Cost? One (very) damaged ego.

Daughter's boyfriend lost his '03 Fiesta on ice before Christmas and hit kerb. £400 for new tyre, steering rack, etc.

So after berating him for being young and foolish "you youngsters don't know how to drive in snow, blah, blah, pontificate" I gave him lift to work next day.

And hit same kerb.

Cost? One (very) damaged ego.

Same happened to me last year.

New wheel

New height sensor

New steering damper

New track rod

New drag link

New suspension airbag

2x new anti roll bar links

:(

Looks like you're in luck Si, judging by the view from my window. The current tip is to get milk in as no supplies will be delivered for the forseeable. (In Horsham only Sainsburys petrol station seem to have any).

:):):):):)!

How cool is this! (Not the no milk situation). I couldn't get the Freelander to move off the drive!

I'll go and see if the little shop in Barns Green has any milk just in case.

Si

Snow was about 30cm deep this morning in Headley near Bordon Hants. Drove in to work at 6am I was the first tracks down the country lanes. Lots of fallen trees on country lanes. Drove over a couple of smallish trees and pushed through a big tree. The roll cage did it job. It still snowing now at work (Camberley) should be fun on the way hame later :)

I managed to push afew random cars, when it snow last time, unfortunately London does not get much snow.

However, it's snowing now so the city should shut down in "Travel Chaos", tomorrow....

It always make me chuckle when this happens as any more than 1 inch and it's more "Travel Chaos"

Keep up the good work people, if there were only more of us.

funny how on the news that the north got a 5 second mention about some crashes on the m62 and that was pretty much it.

the very next day when snow is due darrrrrn sarrrrf the main news runs a 10 minute piece on it before the snow even happens! :ph34r:

not rescued anyone so far as i;ve been at work - but i did ferry a few people home to the outlying villages around wakefield that the buses could no longer get to. Even had to put difflock in on one hill going through hemsworth!

Oh yes, if you are the owner of a very nice Series 1 canvas top barrelling up the M66 this morning could I remind you that although you can probably go better then me in the snow, my car, and most others, has ABS and will stop better then you can so please stop tailgating.

:)

Should of moved over to let a superior vehicle through! :lol:

In alls eriousness though, surely ABS does not matter, it's tyres and the level of grip they produce that counts in this weather?

My 90 on Saharas can brake a lot later than another 4x4 ( Hilux) as his ATs don't dig in.

loads here in Newcastle area.... about 8 inches in my garden. A slow drive to work in a volvo xc90 passing a surprisingly large amount of stuck cars.

It appears that if you get stuck in a two wheel drive car, the appropriate action is to put it in 1st and sit at 5000rpm spinning the wheels :blink:

Jas

Still coming down nicely here in Gosport, took me 3 hours to get home last night from Hayling as everyone was parked on the hill on the M27 and sliding about - tanker trucks included :o I never realised there were so many idiots on the road. Police were closing junctions because of all the abandoned cars.

Then I got home, jumped in the 109 and went out playing :D although a lot of that time was spent pulling people out / up hills and whatnot. Pulled a very shiny Saab out of the back end of an Asda van "no idea what happened" :rolleyes:

Everyone seems to be on a snow day today so looks like time to be out & about for more good deeds :P

Towed quite a few last night, including a dairy transit and a crashed Saab. Got a packet of sausage rolls from a Tesco delivery van for our efforts :P

Off out today to make the most of it since we haven't had anything like this for about 10 years. This global warming's a bitch :lol:

I'm stuck here at work, but the journey was fun. Passed a lot of stuck cars on the hills, got very annoyed looks as I cruised past without any issues :)

Serves them right, they should have stayed home, I like how they venture out in there 2wd cars and then expect sympathy when they get stuck and look on for help from the 4x4 owners, but then for the rest of the year they moan about our "gas guzzlers".

Not towed anyone yet this winter, but did help a lady in a Mini that spun off the M1 and whacked twice into the crash barrier on the hard shoulder. She was so lucky that the car ended up on the hard shoulder another inch or two and it would have been in the inside lane.

The driver was fine, but obviously very distressed. The car however was a bit of a mess - sorry no pics.