Coronavirus

Anderzander

9 minutes ago, Snagger said:

It’s not, if it’s at your home address, but unless you’re only doing minor tasks, you’re engaging in a task that risks injury and the need of overstretched health services.

Where else would people be working on their own vehicle? If you think working on your car is dangerous, you best leave it to someone else!

3 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

It was mentied above that doing big jobs which are higher risk are not a good idea for that exact reason.

I personally will be fitting interior trim and doing some wiring. There is more risk of me injuring myself cutting the grass, which incidentally I can't do as I have no petrol!

That’s the sort of minor task I’m excluding from significant risk, and if the vehicle is at home, great.  Enjoy your work.  But some on here are fitting gearboxes, welding, derusting chassis, removing suspension components and so on.  They are not low risk, and in must cases also not urgent.  I’m sure you can see what I’m getting at.

As for using remote garages or workshops, getting there risks spreading the virus, even if you don’t have it yourself.  Bowie’s example of using petrol pumps is a pretty good one.  But non-essential journeys present a risk that could require the emergency services.  Is there much likelihood?  Not really, but it there a real need for the journey during these extraordinary times?  Also no.  

The tighter we can all keep the quarantine, wherever we are, the sooner all this will pass and with the least health and economic impacts to all of us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Red90 said:

Where else would people be working on their own vehicle? If you think working on your car is dangerous, you best leave it to someone else!

It depends on the task.  If you’re saying that fitting major components, working on a running engine, welding and so on aren’t dangerous, then you are lying to yourself.

Just now, Snagger said:

If you’re saying that fitting major components, working on a running engine, welding and so on aren’t dangerous, then you are lying to yourself.

Yes, I'm saying they are not as long as you know what you are doing.  I've worked in heavy industry for many decades.  Safety is taken seriously.  This is not 1950.  If you do not know what you are doing, go sit on the couch and bitch at everyone on the internet. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Red90 said:

Yes, I'm saying they are not as long as you know what you are doing.  I've worked in heavy industry for many decades.  Safety is taken seriously.  This is not 1950.  If you do not know what you are doing, go sit on the couch and bitch at everyone on the internet. 

The risk is never zero, and things can and do go wrong despite knowledge and care.  It happens in industry as well as in any hobby.  Carrying on regardless is a selfish attitude, and potentially dangerous to others.  I’m not impressed by your posturing and “big man” stance.  It’s petulant and shortsighted.

23 minutes ago, Snagger said:

Carrying on regardless is a selfish attitude, and potentially dangerous to others.  I’m not impressed by your posturing and “big man” stance.  It’s petulant and shortsighted.

Your opinion is noted.  I do not agree with you and we can move on with that understanding.

• Like 2

Can we remember that this is an unusual stress for most of us, and we are all reacting out of character as a result?

I apologise if I've inadvertantly offended anyone. I'm not coping with seeing freedoms being removed, and I'm resentful as a result.

I want this to be over, and get irate when I think people might do things that extend the lockdown.

• Like 3

Whilst I agree with doing things that are not high risk, I do think it is a good idea for people to have little aims and scheduled tasks to keep themselves going through this.

I'm lucky in that I can work from home and still have a job. Currently that job is really stressful as overnight we have lost 90 out of 100 staff in India due to the lockdown there. My industry means the work has to still get done or we risk big fines and other penalties.

If I don't have something to take my mind off things over the next few weeks (however small) I am going to go mad! Cut the grass, wash the car, tidy the garage. Do those little jobs on your Land Rover like mentioned above. All those things give a sense of achivement that sitting on the sofa watching TV having spent the day behind a desk will never provide

41 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

I've decided to stay home from today. It was a tough decision because my work place is still open and I'm unlikely to get paid. However I have two young children one with a suspect chest who is always getting coughs. I feel guilty being off with nothing wrong with me/my family. However I felt far more guilty yesterday being still at work and potentially spreading the virus. Having said that I will be working on various projects while at home.

Mike

Respect. 

A hard decision to have to make, but the right thing to do. 

42 minutes ago, Blanco said:

@miketomcat tough call, but I think you are right.

^ What he said, you'd kick yourself if one of the kids got sick.

I guess the chassis-swapping party is postponed for the time being though... do you think you'll have enough other projects to keep you busy? :hysterical:

5 hours ago, Snagger said:

It’s not, if it’s at your home address, but unless you’re only doing minor tasks, you’re engaging in a task that risks injury and the need of overstretched health services.

Hmmmm Ok....................That statement is just a tad 'drama queen'

The government deem that going out on a bicycle is Ok ................. so cycling in your book is not dangerous in any way ?

There should be no maintenance task on a motor vehicle that risks injury ............. the general idea is to manage the risk  🙄

TBH, I have probably had more accidents cutting the grass than working on vehicles and boats ..................

However @Hybrid_From_Hell is a different matter ........... Nige needs to stay indoors for his own safety .......🤣

Edited by Bull Bar Cowboy

I’ve taken holiday till end of week as my mother in law lives with us , and my firm isn’t closing at the minute, we make gates and fencing . I don’t class that as essential but we are a small firm and because the government hasn’t said that they have to them they aren’t at the minute 

1 hour ago, ianmayco68 said:

I’ve taken holiday till end of week as my mother in law lives with us , and my firm isn’t closing at the minute, we make gates and fencing . I don’t class that as essential but we are a small firm and because the government hasn’t said that they have to them they aren’t at the minute 

Yeah my firm is small to hence them staying open. I feel like I'm letting my boss down because there's a chance this could bankrupt him, but I know in my heart I've made the right choice. I just wish the government would now make it clear for him to.

Mike

• Like 1